Highlander 1 & 2 dvds worth getting?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christina_V, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Christina_V

Christina_V Guest

Well i did rent part 2 before to see the longer cut & aside from a REALLY bland,dull menu screen.......the movie looked and sounded good,compared to what has bee said about the first movie edition.
    + the film while not great/good as the original had it's moments + i never got around to the commentary track,which i'd like to hear.
    Anyway....i was over at cdwarehouse & looking through the used dvds section & they had a table with a 2 for $11 deal.........they had a few copies of Highlander 1 & 2,that i was thinking of picking them up.........but does part 1 really look as bad as they say? Will it only be noticable on a HD tv which i don't have?
    I've read reviews about people complaining about the Scarface dvd,yet when i rented it, it didn't look "that" bad & was watchable. The only dvd i've seen that looks bad,even on a regular tv was the Born on the 4th of July SE, the EE was so noticable.....yet on Die Hard with a Veagence, it was'nt...though i hear on a HD set,it's worse looking.
    I know AB's releasing there own dvd of Highlander,which i can't wait for(it's gonna be awsome!)...but i forgot the release date & what if it changes again like with Re-animator? I was gonna wait for there release of that,but it kept getting pushed back,that i picked up Elites version when re-released.

2. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Do not... whatever you do... do not buy the current Highlander DVD. It looks and sounds like total crap. But what you can do is wait for the Anchor Bay edition which should be out in early to mid 2002. [​IMG]

3. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I agree that the current version looks like crud, but I can still watch it and enjoy it since I think the movie is a lot of fun. So if you can get it really cheap... why not?
    Needless to say I'll be picking up the AB version though, since the current one truly is quite horrendous. [​IMG]
    Personally I have zero interest in movies 2 and 3, but Endgame I thought was ok, more in line with the original movie... and I'll probably pick up the series too.
    This is going to be an expensive year, with Trek: TNG out too. [​IMG]

4. AndrewA

AndrewA Stunt Coordinator

I've gotten rid of my copy a couple of years ago, I saw it once and prefer to not see it again. Don't get me wrong I like to movie a lot, it was just too painful to watch. Bad video, bad sound...

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Hopefully Anchor Bay's upcoming Highlander Director's Cut in DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 will be worth the wait.

Don't get the current releases. They are indeed crap.

Dan

6. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

Highlander 2 is worth $10, I think. Sure, the movie is truly awful (although the director's cut is about 2% better than the theatrical version), but the DVD is fine. The commentary is decent and engaging, and the booklet is very detailed about the alterations to the movie. The video and audio are not outstanding, but still fine DVD quality, better than you've ever seen it before. And the making-of featurette is also interesting.

I also love the Endgame DVD. The movie is really terrible, but the DVD is just awesome! The commentary is really something to listen to because at one point the producers actually APOLOGIZE for the quality of some scenes, but they're candid about scheduling and money. And it's a new version too. Also the making-of is very detailed and at least an hour long. Great DVD for a bad movie. Recommended.

I only wish somebody would do a decent job for Final Dimension.

7. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

8. Angsty

Angsty Stunt Coordinator

Errr,
    Highlander 2 is the ONLY movie I have ever walked out of ...that's how disappointing it was for me.
    The 15th anniversary edition released in R4 a few months ago is a "superb" 16x9 transfer and worth buying. (My disc of the original release sits under my flowerpot, protecting my kitchen bench) [​IMG]
    Angela

9. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

Don't 2 versions of 2 exist on DVD? I saw one that said Final Dimension and another that said Renegade version.

Do 2 versions exist or am i imagining things?

10. Christina_V

Christina_V Guest

Final Dimension is # 3 which i've never seen yet,along with Endgame.
    Speaking of part 2.......how many versions have bee released on video? At my Blcokbuster..they have a few different copies,each with different covers & one i think was PG-13!!!....yet i hav'ent been there in over a year,on a BB boycott[​IMG]
    I've never seen The Quikening version though,which is explained in the documentary on the disc why it turned out so bad...yet they fixed it for the most part with the Renegade Version.......though still not a worthy sequel to the awsome kick ass original!

11. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

I saw the Quickening in theaters. I was stunned. I couldn't believe anybody would actually release a movie that was incomprehensibly bad. I was very young.

Regardless, #2 still sucks incredibly bad and is useful only as an oddity.

12. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Wait for the new release, it's not worth it for 11 dollars, yes even 11! [​IMG]

13. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I picked up a used copy of Highlander 2 the Renegade version for $8, and it still wasn't worth it. Worse than I remembered...much worse. I'm sure they made the film a bit better, but my tastes have improved as well, so it ended up worse.

I saw a tv version of 2 once, and at the end, Connor returns to space - he sort of floats into the sky, along with the girlfriend (she who is brave enough to infiltrate the skynet facility and yet hides in a dumpster during a sword fight) - and they both sort of dissolve into space.

As silly as it was, it was a better end than the replacement ending in the Renegade version, which was simply a new shot of the sky being blue and then fade to black.

The movie doth stinketh.