Highest grossing film ever?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Butch C, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

A question for the real film buffs. What was the highest grossing film ever made....outside the Unites States.

I dont mean shot outside the US but I mean an actual forign film.

Just wondering

2. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

Sorry for answering my own question but according to this
    http://www.worldwideboxoffice.com/
    Crockadile Dundee would be the winner...that was an austrailian film right?
    Funny how the highest grossing forign film ever was 1/2 set in NY

3. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I don't know this for sure, but I thought Dundee was an American film with Australian actor (good ol, "another shrimp on the baraie"), kind of like Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon, really is an American Film with Chinese story and actors (in that the producer is American, the director Ang Lee, has done at least as many, if not more English speaking film than Chinese, the editing is done in US, the post production is done in US, special effects, US, even the payroll company is US, see IMDB).

I think I like a more/better defined definition of Foreign film.

4. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

5. Steve_Ch

Hmmm, this is one of those orphan things, I saw the movie CTHD in Hong Kong before it was released in here, and it was my friends in Hong Kong that told me "It's just an American flik..", and the review in Hong Kong as well as business was mixed, not anywhere near the reception here.
    Now that the movie was nominated for Best Picture, extremely successful, the next time I go to HK, I will have to ask the people again and see if they want to "own up" to it now[​IMG] .

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

You know, I went down that list of movies about 600 or so, down to where they were only making $50 million. And I only saw pretty much American films and a very few well-known foreign films (like CTHD, Diabolique, etc.). I don't think that list is comprehensive as far as international films go.

7. Steve_Ch

What's a foreign film is pretty hard to define these days. In some ways, it's like cars, there are Japanese cars (such as Mazda), German (Benz and BMW), that are totally manufactured in US, but there are "American" cars that are manufactured overseas that are resold under US label.

Movie such as "Incredible Lightness of Being", with an American director (Philip Kaufman), Lead British Actor (Daniel Day Lewis), Lead French Actress (Juliet Binoche), base on a book by a Czeh writer, screen play by French and the whole movie took place in the Czeh republic, now is that Foreign ? Actors and actresses on screen are foreign, story is foreign, location is foreign, the only thing that's NOT foriegn is they speak English/American. How about Soldier of Orange? it's a dutch movie that's English.