What's new

Higher -End Older Yamaha Receiver to Anthem Separates, How big a step up? (1 Viewer)

vinceFL

Auditioning
Hi guys,

I have a 6-7 year old Yamaha 2092 receiver (100 w x5). Bult like a tank! It has Dolby Dig only..no DTS...I added Axiom EP500 sub, which has added a new dimension to the hometheater experience since I never had a sub before!

My usage is 90% hometheater/10% music.

My ? is if I were to move up to used separates, like Anthem AVM-20 or 30, coupled with Anthem 200 watt x 5 amp old MCA5 or newer MCA50, what sort of sonic improvement would I be looking at X% for music and Y% for hometheater.

If I'm chasing 3-5%, I probably won't do it, if the improvement is 15-25% I will do it.

For me: Anthem/Parasound/Aragon/Sunfire used gear is within my budget. Krell/Mcintosh level out of the park for me...

Thanks Vince

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yamahas of that time period have some very respectable amps, but going up to separates is going to be a very noticable improvement, IMO. I'd say you're in the 25% range.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I agree with John.....separates are a big step up. I love the Anthem gear, too. My local dealer carries that line and I've heard their products on a few occasions. Another company you may want to consider is Outlaw. Their new pre/pro, the 990, has received some very good reviews. They also have some pretty good amps that offer some serious bang for the buck. I've had their stuff for a couple years now and have been very happy with all of it. I'm planning to upgrade to the 990 in the next year myself :) Just food for thought.....You really can't go wrong with either.

JordanS

Second Unit
Vince...I also had a higher end Yamaha receiver and it drove some Klipsch towers then a set of B&W Bookshelves. I then stepped up to a set of Adcom seperates (used) and the difference was remarkable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks