What's new

Higher End DVD player suggestions. Please. (1 Viewer)

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Well lets see I had a Pioneer DV-09, which had a fantastic sound that I was extremly pleased with. The image was pretty good to considering it was not progressive scan However the Lip Sync problem was a major plague that I just could not live with. Next I went to the Toshiba SD-6200, which I thought was a major improvments in video over the DV-09. Yes it does have some very minor flaws, but nothing as bad as lip sync.

The unit has been extremly reliable. The down side is the audio. Not bad, but not nearly as good as the DV-09. So now I am getting ready to move and I will be packing up all my goodies and building a new HT! Yahoo!!! So I wanted to take advantage of this and upgrade my DVD player. My budget I saved for a higher end player is in the $1,000 to $1,400 range. The goal is the best Video/Audio for that price range. I know HD-DVD is coming, but I simply do not expect it around for at least another 2 years at best. Any suggestions please chime in.

Thanks

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Oswald,
You might want to consider the Denon DVD-3800 or Toshiba SD9500.
I have the chroma-bug-free 3800 and it's a phenomenal machine ...... from it's 20 lb weight to it's 4X progressive upsampled 12-bit 108MHz video DAC's for world-class picture quality and on to it's Burr Brown 1738 audio DAC's for pristine DVD-A sound.
The Toshiba uses 14-bit 108MHz video DAC's (same as the Denon DVD-9000 at $3.5K). HOWEVER, the 9500 may have the chroma bug and I personally would not touch a DVD player with the chroma bug. If the Toshiba does not have the chroma bug it MAY give the 3800 strong competition within the price range you are interested in! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks