Higher end CD/DVD player for $300 or less? Used is cool.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris Atkinson, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Chris Atkinson

Chris Atkinson Auditioning

Hey guys- first off, I'm new here and this is my first thread. Pleasure to be here. [​IMG] I'm an undergrad business student on a budget and trying to decide if I'm going to get a worthwhile, cost-effective difference in sound out of upgrading my 1-year old $150 Sony CD/DVD 5-disc carousel (on a digital coax) to something along the lines of a NAD or Rotel unit. I don't need multi-disc capability, just a single disc unit that will play CDs, DVDs and CD-Rs and have a digital coax or TOSLink out. DVD-Audio or SACD (still not sure which is better) would be an added bonus.

So, even if I'm fine with buying factory refurbished or used, can I get a NAD, Rotel or comparable unit to fit my needs that would significantly make my system sound better for $300 or less? If so, could you recommend a model? I have Athena speakers all around with a Velodyne CT-100, Onkyo SR600 6.1 and Monster XP wire. Also just a 27" Toshiba with a Monster S-video cable, but I'm not a video buff. 80% music, 20% HT.

Sorry for being another "help me decide!" person, but that's the weakest point in my system now and I won't bug you guys for help again after I upgrade. [​IMG]

2. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

If you're interested in NAD, check out www.yawaonline.com. They carry NAD equipment both new and refurbished with full factory warranty (just 1 yr. on refurb). Might be able to find something in your price range. Thing is, NAD and Rotel, to the best of my knowledge, are not really known for their DVD players. At least you do not see a lot of people talking about them and bragging about pic quality like they do with the Denon 1600. Wait, there's a suggestion. Try finding a 1600 as they are closing out, and you might find one at just above your budget. It plays everything you want except SACD. Now for everything on a budget, try the Pioneer Elite DV45A. Also an outgoing model, but will play everything under the sun, including SACD and DVD-A. Now, some people will say the pic quality isn't that good BASED off of the Secrets of Home Theater Test. However, I have one and have never noticed the problems stated in this test with scenes from Toy Story and others. I think the Elite would give you a very good value for your money. There is also another universal Pioneer model out, 563 I believe. Maybe check into that as well, and it can be had for

3. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

The Denon DVD-1600 can be had a crutchfield.com for $329.99 with free shipping. If you are a first time cutsomer you can get the on-line coupon for $20 off that price. That's what I just did. $309.99 total.

Darren

4. Chris Atkinson

Chris Atkinson Auditioning

Good deal! I will check out everything you guys mentioned. Bump for more advice if anyone else has some.[​IMG]

5. Tom Fynan

Tom Fynan Stunt Coordinator

Another good site for used equipment and demo models is www.audiogon.com . I've always had good delaings with people there. If nothing else, you can get an idea about the prices of used players.

6. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Chris,

I might be selling my black Panasonic RP91 soon (has DVD-A, and was made in Japan).