What's new

Highend versus lowend DVD players (1 Viewer)

CarlosGH

Stunt Coordinator
Recently I went into a local "high end" HT store, SoundQuest, and was shocked by the pricey DVD players. Their so called low-end DVD player by Denon cost about $400. And all it did was play DVDs, no SACD or DVD-A.

Excluding all personal experiences and compatability issues (SACD, DVD-A, VCD, SVCD playback), is there a difference in the hardware/chipset between the $400 Denon DVD player and a $35 Apex DVD player. Personal experiences are welcome, but I don't want a tainted view because you thought you spend too much.

A good friend of mine told me that Denon DVD players utilize chipsets that minimize the number of D/A conversions and thus prevent added noise. Does the Denon produce a better image during playback? And is this something that a novice to the HT forum could spot instantly or only the finest HT connoisseur could spot.

One of the mid range Denons had the Farjouda(sp?)DCDi chip, what it does, I don't know and would like to know before even considering spending $600 on a DVD player. I know that the Samsung upscaling DVD player at Best Buy has it. The Samsung has upconversion and a DVI out, is it better and about $300 cheaper than the Denon?

Thanks in advance for all of your help. I hope I posted in the correct forum, I thought the terminology and content of the questions exceeded those of the HT Basics forum. Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
Without exactly mentioning the model number, I can only say that I've tried the Denon 910 vs the Samsung with DVI.

I like the Denon's PQ better.

Let's not even start with those $35 players.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
The new Samsung DVD player with DVI does NOT have the DCDi, just the old models which should be cleared out by now. Again, the DVD-HD841 doesn't have the faroudja and the DVD-HD931 does.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
What kind of tv do you have?
What does your audio setup conisist of?

CarlosGH

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen several of the older DCDi models as open items at Best Buy, does the DCDi chip make it better than the newer ones? What does the DCDi chip do?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
One of the biggest differences I've noticed is the lack of major bugs on the upper end units(over $400). I've returned several sub $400 players because they are flaky and I'm willing to bet that is because of the price.

Then there comes the sound quality, better dacs, better analog output section for DVD-A and SACD, Firewire/I-Link outputs, added configurable features not found on lower players.

Buying a $250 dvd player now is quite the risk and if you actually get one that doesn't act up, how long will it last really?

The only hope there is for a decent low budget player anymore are the new Denon 1910 which is $279(not expensive), and the new Panasonic that has been delayed(ALOT). If those are POS's, then there is no hope. Keep also in mind that the better deinterlacing chips are found on nicer players now. The cheaper players have to cut corners someplace...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks