What's new

High Wind in Jamaica coming on 4/20 from Fox. (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
A High Wind in Jamaica is being released by Fox on 4/20 for $14.95. Glad to see this film being released, thanks Fox (& Pirates of the Caribbean :wink: ).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Somebody at Fox has good sense! Thank you, Fox and Mr. Staddon - I've been lobbying for this one for six years. I HIGHLY recommend this movie and urge HTF members who enjoy sea stories/pirate adventures to purchase it - for ten bucks or so, how can you go wrong?. This one stars Anthony Quinn and James Coburn as pirates who inadvertantly kidnap a group of school-age children with tragic results (I would not dare tell you what these are). Gorgeous cinematograhy. It was beautifully directed by Alexander Mackenrick (the famous Brit directed some of the Ealing comedy classics such as MAN IN THE WHITE SUIT, and then came to Hollywood and gave us SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS among others). The image is 2.35:1. It was cut from something like two full hours to 103 minutes by Fox, and no one seems to know whether the cut footage exists anywhere... sure would love to see it turn up here, but I'll take what I can get (unless its pan and scan, of course!) I think Fox is going a bit out on a limb with this release, as it was never really well-known and even when released did not earn much. But the multi-level story can be enjoyed by children and adults both. Kids will love its pirate adventure featuring actors their own age, and adults will be absorbed by the plot developments and photography.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Wow! This is great news. I am extremely happy to hear that this title is being released. Thanks a bunch to the folks at Fox for this one.

- Walter.

Charles H

Screenwriter
PIRATES OF TORTUGA, a CinemaScope from 1961, is also being released with HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA. Can THE BLACK SWAN be far behind?

Fox is to be commended for releasing classic films without any VHS antecedents (e.g., HIGH WIND..., PIRATES..., KISS THEM FOR ME, CALL ME MADAM, BORN TO BE BAD, BELLES ON THEIR TOES, and even the long OOP MYRA BRECKINRIDGE, which hasn't been available for more than 18 years). Most companies merely portal their old catalog titles. Columbia has only released LOVING, PENNIES FROM HEAVEN, and ONCE UPON A TIME as new to video. WB has only released ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, THE GYPSY MOTHS, and THE BIG BOUNCE (1969). UA released WAR HUNT, OPERATION AMSTERDAM and a couple of AIPs. Universal released NIGHT PASSAGE last year and has several titles exclusive to DVD coming up in May as part of their western line--including WHISPERING SMITH, their first Paramount release in a year.

Yet I think Fox deserves special commendation. HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA is a terrific film and--in terms of creative dvd marketing--they really understand how to think outside the Video Cassette Box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks