1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

High Surround Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkWC, Mar 10, 2003.

1. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

I have been moving my rear speakers around the room looking for a better position than on the back wall, about 7 feet behind. One location is on the side wall directly next to sitting position, however I have an open beam on the left side so they would have to be mounted about 7 1/2 feet high. They will also be just under the ceiling. This will allow the null to be in the right place.

Do this seem to high?

I have a partial wall that comes out from behind which I could use to mount the sides about 2 feet higher than sitting, but it would be 5 feet behind.

I would like to try either bipoles or dipoles but don't think I have an ideal place. Do either of these places make sense or does monopoles faced towards each other 5 feet behing make the most sense.

If you remember me from earlier posts, I am unable to audition speakers because of my location.

Thanks.

2. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

The original diagrams for AC3 had two speakers facing each other on the side of the listening position at 6' up. If you could tilt them down a bit I think having them high on the side will still work for you.

3. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I had to mount my 3 surrounds up high so that people wouldn't bump into them, so I got B-tech brackets for all of them and have them aimed 15 degrees down at my listening position. Works great.

4. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

Are those with monopoles?

Would either dipoles or bipoles be effective from that height? Axiom has the QS8's which are supposed to be one of the best multipole designs in the biz.