High speed internet access in North Dallas?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Pasant, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

I just moved to North Dallas from Michigan and it seems there is no DSL or cable modem service according to SBC and AT&T in this area?

Does anyone in the Dallas area have recomendations or suggestions?

I have seriously thought about getting the direcpc, but if there are other alternatives or providers I would hold off for now.

Thanks,

Matt

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
  3. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

I guess they are not in my part of Dallas yet, I looked up AT&T broadband on their page, and it still claims its not availible.

I am in Far North Dallas, i.e. Preston and Arapaho.

-- Matt

4. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

Hehe... Welcome to the broadband internet black hole known as North Texas. Givin the hell I went through over the last 3 years w/ DSL and cable service in Dallas, I was so surprised at how painless it was to get DSL service in CA.

Good luck on your quest. The phone companies won't make it easy on you. It's a big Catch-22. They can't tell you if they provide service until you get an active phone line. You can't get an active phone line until you move somewhere. Aggh.. Headaches I don't ahve to deal w/ anymore.. i feel for you man.

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    I had a friend who lived north of Arapaho (on Keller Springs) at the Tollway who was able to get DSL through SBC...but was a convoluted process. Are you in an apartment? That's the only reason I can think of that might hamper DSL or Cable availability. If the infrastructure is not there, or if the cable company is mom&pop tied to the apartment, I can see there being some limitations. Bummer...

- Steve

6. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

I actually just moved from Keller Springs and Marsh. Every block in that area is different. Apartments on the NE and SE corners were supposed to be services by SWBell but (depending on who you talked to) either their infrastructure wouldn't support it, or their order processing system wasn't setup to handle "spore" areas. Half a block east is serviced by GTE/Verizon. GTE/Verizon do offer DSL in that area. The neighborhoods on the SW (houses, not apts) and NW corners are serviced by GTE/Verizon but DSL is not (or wasn't) available when I lived there because it was too far from the CO.

7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    It's no wonder DSL is perceived as a failure.

- Steve

8. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

Thanks for all your help. I have one of those "unserviceable" houses judging from ya'lls information, which is in essence the nail in the coffin.

Looks like its two campbell soup cans connected by a string for the near future. Or maybe the directpc.

Thanks again guys,

Matt

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

DSL in North Dallas is a total pain in the ass. I'm in Coppell, north of Irving, west of Carrolton, and it's been a total hassle getting it. I'm finally activated (about three weeks before Christmas) after a lot of faffing about. Earthlink just sent me another email saying I'm still not in range for DSL... Which I received on my DSL service.

The phone companies are a joke here basically.