What's new

High School Reunions-Has Anyone Gone? (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
My 20th high school reunion is coming up in August. For a couple of years I've been getting letters addressed to me about this big bash. The funny part is that these letters are Missing in Action and Have You Seen____ letters with my name on the list of MIA's...Go figure.

A couple of friends are sort of pressuring me to go and I'm curious to know if anyone here has attended their reunions? Was it fun, or just the Big Yawn event reunions are always portrayed as on TV?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Gee, thanks for me reminding me that MY twentieth high school reunion is only a few years away. :frowning:
Actually, I've never been to one and don't plan to. I wasn't part of the popular crowd in school and the few friends I did hang out with have all moved out of state. Nope, I have no interest in attending a reunion. I've heard they ain't all that great, anyway.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I went to the 10 several years ago and plan on going to the 20th here in a few. I wasn't popular either, but I did have some friends. And you'd be surprised who you end up being friendly with at it. Sometimes people would have been your friend but it just didn't happen, maybe they thought you didn't like them.
It's especially rewarding if you haven't lost your hair yet too. ;)

ollie_k

Stunt Coordinator
went to mine last year (10 years already sheesh), found it got real boring. The funny thing to see was all the same cliques were still in tact. After you are done talking about yourself and listening to the other person finish their life story, there isn't much else to go on, lots of small talk b.s.

The only fun part is to see who changed the most for the worst/best/got weird. There were a few people in my class who went nuts in college I guess.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
went to my 10th, ten years ago. it was just okay, nothing special. my 20th is in a couple of weeks, i'm looking more forward to this one.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
It's fun to go if you have friends you would like to see. But, mostly it's just everyone looking at each other to see who is fatter than who, who has less hair, who makes more money, and to see if the most popular people turned out to be losers.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Went to my 5 and 10, but didn't care to do the 15, the 20 is a few more years away, and I don't think I'll go to that one...damn, where do the years go?

The hair thing is a source of amusement (tacky, I know).

I'm always amazed at the wallflowers that blossomed into something special (and I saw that happen to one girl, and she was the talk of the reunion even if she didn't want it to happen).

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Zoinks, I'm young compared to all ya :) My 5th comes up in about 2 weeks. I was already planning on visiting my parents that weekend, so I figured what the heck I'll go.
We can have a "how was your Class Reunion" thread in a few weeks :)
Brian

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I went to the 10-year reunion because my best friend from high school was going. It was interesting to see how a couple of the people turned out, but I spent most of the time talking to one of my former teachers.

I am skipping my 20-year reunion, which is this weekend. Most of my friends are not going. The former teacher is dead.

I was one of the outcasts 20 years ago. I think it is best to leave it that way.

- Steve

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't know whether my class is even having a ten-year reunion this year. :b

I'd probably go, though I imagine it would wind up like last year's college 5-year: Mostly bored during the "official", everyone's-there part, and then having a great time afterward with the people I actually spent time with in HS (some of whom I still keep in contact with).

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I went to my 5 year, but skipped my 10. At the 5, nobody had changed all that much and it became one huge drunk fest. Man, everyone got wasted.

I guess the only one who changed was me. I had lost 30lbs since high school, got rid of my glasses and braces and completely changed my hair style (say goodbye 1980's mullet!!!). Nobody recognized me.

I don't need to go to these things to prove my own self worth. Plus, I'm the same weight I was in high school and still have all my hair, so it would be unfair to brag. Plus, I was kind of a loner in school anyway. My 15 year is coming up in 2004, and it's very up in the air as to whether I will attend.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I went to my 10th and 20th. Both were a blast. I was kinda popular in High School. I wasn't the BMOC but my good friends were.

I was still single when I went to the 10th. I was still slim, had long hair, had become a much better dancer and much more out going and sexually aggressive. I went there with the distinct purpose of getting into some the panties I missed while in High School. I had a great time. I sat in the parking lot and had a couple of shots of Tanquery. I had my very first hangover the next morning and I swore to never drink that much again, and I haven't. BTW, I did not drive while under the influence.

The 20th was very different. By then I was married so I brought my tall slender gorgeous wife. Short hair was now the style. I had gained a couple pounds and then some, but I wasn't some huge fat monster. Many people had gained lots of weight. Almost everyone was very very friendly. We had a great time. The following day we all had a nice lunch at the park where many brought their kids and stuff. That was cool.

If there's a 25th or a 30th, we will attend if able.

Todd K

Second Unit
My tenth is coming next year, I'm not going.

I keep in touch with everyone I want to, so I don't see a reason to go.

The only way I could see going is if you were in a really small class and were friends with almost everyone, it would be a good way to get together on someone else's dime.

To me, going to a reunion under most other circumstances would be just to compare yourself to others, usually in a bad way. But I'd be happy to hear other people's reasons for going.

Todd

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
...it would be a good way to get together on someone else's dime.
:eek: I skipped my 10th last year. But if I went I would have had to pay $75 just to get in, plus the cost of travel to get down there. Not worth my time or money. So where's this "someone else's dime"?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Went to my 10 year in 95, plan on going to my 20 in 05. Had a total blast.
Peace Out~:D

KyleS

Screenwriter
I look forward to going to my 10 year in 2 years but who sets these things up? Is it the president of your student body class ,and if that person is a total waste of life now, then who is expected to set it up?

KyleS

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I went to my "11 year reunion" three years ago. Apparently none of the powers that be did anything until it was too late for our 10th!
I had a blast. Saw quite a few friends I had lost touch with. Enjoyed visiting with 98% of the people there. No cliques, just everyone having a good time. I will definitely go to the 20th or 25th if I'm still around ;)

Todd K

Second Unit
So where's this "someone else's dime"?
I guess that may not be the case for everyone's reunion, I just recall talk at my graduation that through class fundraisers over the years, we had earned quite a bit of money to be put toward things like class reunions.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am one of those rare people whose best friends today (well, a good part of them :) )are those I made in High School. They are spead on three continents and I get news from them all the time, even the ones I don't really talk to. When I lived in NYC I met many of them who were in transit to other places.
A high school reunion would definitely be fun, but in way it happoens informally around the holidays: when they (I don't do this as often) go back home they almost always end up in the same circles, at the same parties etc...
--
Holadem

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
My 20 year reunion is coming up in '06, but I haven't been to either the 5-year or the 10-year. Was no 15-year. It's not that high school was a bad experience or anything, I actually had fun, but I've just got no interest in seeing any of those people again, I've moved on. It's my opinion that high school reunions are a total waste of time. I've better things to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks