What's new

High School Memories... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
After reading the thoughts on Boston Public,and hearing the tragic news that befell one of my fellow classmates who recently had a tragic familly accident, I decided to bring out my own yearbook from senior year and relive a few memories.
Even though I only graduated in 1997, barley 5 years ago, I'm shocked at how much I've forgotten. I've only been back to the school once, for my sisters graduation last year, and places once familiar seemed strange and foriegn. Not to mention a little smaller :). I used to know those halls like the back of my hand, now I had to re-trace routes through memory. Even stranger, is that there where people in the year book that I had no memory of, and probably some people I never even knew. People I hung out with, I had a bit more memory of, but even that was fading.
Saddest part is, I havn't seen most of 'em since then. Only talking to a few on the phone, spotting one in a Wayne Mall, and spotting 3 when I worked at Grand Union. It was nice to catch up with them again, although you wonder what happend to the ones you didn't contact. For instance, one friend moved back to Tokyo, Japan, and I havn't heard from him since 1995. Two others have gotten married, one of them having a kid, and moved to other states.
Anyone else experience stuff like this? When do people normally have class reunions? I might have to keep a look out for one.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Not really, I graduated in '96 and don't have much time for anything from high school, I haven't seen or talked to anyone from HS since the last day of school (other than the occasional passing nod when I'd see one on campus before I moved out of state) haven't been back.. and don't really care to I guess, so I probably never will. Oh well.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I graduated in '97 as well and am finding myself invited to numerous weddings this year. It's kind of scary to think of people getting married and having kids at my age ... but so it goes. I was just reading the comments from my senior year yearbook last night (I was re-organizing my books) and started to get nostalgic. High school wasn't the greatest experience for me but it still provided many good memories.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Man, i grad next year... i cant THINK how my life woudl be like without seeing my friends right now... I hope i'll still keep in touch with them... :frowning:

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>It's kind of scary to think of people getting married and having kids at my age ... but so it goes. I was just reading the comments from my senior year yearbook last night (I was re-organizing my books) and started to get nostalgic. High school wasn't the greatest experience for me but it still provided many good memories. >
Agreed. The kid I mentioned in my first post had the kid first, and the marriage second. It seems after two of my friends got married, last I've heard from them. Sigh...such is life, it seems :).
And agreed about the 'not the greatest experience'. I was a quiet kid in the begining, kept to myself most of the time. When a substitute teacher, of all things, started to poke fun at me, that's when I decided to lighten up a bit. In a way, I'm glad I did, because we did have some fun. For instance, I saved up from mowing lawns and bought a mini, 2.2 inch color TV portable, and some of us watched Price is Right during breaks. Or bringing in Jiffy Pop and cooking it over the fireplace in the rec area(With the screens closed as far as they could go, of course!). I was a complete stranger to social situations, so I used what I could as a guidline. Hopefully I didn't make a complete ass of myself EG>.
I know some of my friends are still in town. Last I heard one of them was working in a mall I go near, and asked about me when my parents spotted 'em. Have to drop by one of these days if there still there...

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>Man, i grad next year... i cant THINK how my life woudl be like without seeing my friends right now... I hope i'll still keep in touch with them...>>
For people with a plan, I suppose it wasn't that bad. But for me, I was in for a complete shock. I got bored when I had to stay home sick for two days. The first month, I was completly dead bored. I even watched, gasp, soap operas to try and pass the time. Heh, my soap of choice was Days of Our Lives. Come on, admit it, even the actors know soaps are cheazy :).
Now, however, I'm better off. I've got my buisness I'm trying to get off the ground, I've got my fan website to keep me occupied, and I'm a self taught, still learning 3D artist wich requires alot of time. This is how I tend to pass my days, and keeps me rather busy most times :).
All the advice I can say is, enjoy the ride while it lasts. Unless you plan on going to college, it'll never come again, .
One of these days, I hope to get an excuse to go to Ramapo when it's a school day. Maby that'll bring back more memories....Hmmm.. wonder if they fixed the fireplace that blew up yet? Damn Freshman.

Micah Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I graduated in '85 and haven't been back to the school or town (El Paso) since. I'm planning a solo road-trip in a couple of weeks and have set aside a couple of days to revisit the city where I spent my teen-age years, including the high school. Since I've been planning this trip, more and more memories keep creeping in. 16+ years is a long time, though; I don't know what to expect...

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Heh, started reading through some of the autograph signatures. Wish I kept some of my earlier year books. Only have Sophmore through Senior for Highschool, and I'm remembering a few details I've forgotten about.
For instance, I wanted to make a comic book version of a 30 minute animated show, just to see if I can do it. Especially after complaining, 'how tough could it be to get a great animated program like Justice League done, day after day?' So, after experimenting with various color markers to see wich works best, I settled apon a set from Pearl, but they smelled from high heavan! Now I'm wishing I didn't use 'em as much as I did :), because half of the signatures seem to remember them more than I did.
Other events where times when I brought in Videos of the Worlds WildestPolice Chases, and even one time, a Nintendo 64 to help pass the time during the last slow few days of summer class in that senior year.... Hehe, those where the day...
I just wish I can remember how the Freshman blew up our fireplace. We wait four years to be able to get near enough to use it, our time finally comes, and the underclass wreck it. Go figure :).

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
High School. Such fond memories. I graduated in 1992 but when I think of my best days in school I think of Junior High (grade 7 - 9). A lot happened in those 3 years. Theres still a small group of about 8 of us that still hang out since Junior High. Almost 20 years. wow
A couple live in the United States, a couple in Ontario and the rest are still here at home. We still keep tight and all get together once every few years. But we always know what everyone is doing with themselves.
The truth is, these old friendships mean more to me than just about anything :)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I graduated almost 16 years ago and, luckily, I still have my circle of friends. However, I am terrible with names and occasionally I will run into someone from high school who remembers me and I can't remember them... I remember that I went to school with them, I just can't remember their name... thats always an embarassing situation ("um.. yeah.. whats your name again?")

Alex S

Second Unit
I graduated HS in 1980. 22 years ago. :eek:
I've never been back for reunions.
I still live very close to my HS (about 4 miles).
Occasionally I bump into some people I went to HS with.
You just loose touch with that group of people after you graduate.
You go to college, get a job, get married and have kids.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I graduated in 1998. I've forgotten all the good and the bad already. Can't remember who my teachers were, all the names of people I associated with. All the people I used to give hell and receive hell from.

Well better to have NOT loved at all then to have loved and lost I say.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I graduated in '96 in a different country and some of my old classmates are still my best friends today.

--

Holadem

KyleS

Screenwriter
I graduated in 1994 and can honestly say I do miss some things about high school. I always love when people say.... Oh well keep in touch dont worry. You really have to work at keeping in touch with your friends and you find out really fast who your good friends are because they will always be that even if you go long periods without talking. I still keep in touch with 4 or 5 friends from High school and we get together as often as possible. Though now that we all have wifes/Kids it makes it a lot harder. Oh the memories.

KyleS

StephenA

Screenwriter
There are quite a few people I'd like to forget from high school. I didn't get along well with alot of the kids. I was the shy, quiet type that everyone seems to pick on. I was also in a class for kids with behavoiral problems. It always kept me on my toes when I was in that class. There are a few I wish I had the nerve to become friends with and keep in contact with. But such is life. I have some friends now and am happy.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I graduated in '86 and I only keep in touch with one friend. We both still live pretty close to our hometown of Southaven, MS. I really didn't like HS too much, though I do have some good memories. The only time I've ever been back was at a Homecoming game in '98. Deja vu. It was like being back in school all over again, except I was with my wife instead of a girlfriend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks