High Quality video capture to fit DVD-R 4.7

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark Giles, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

I'm using Adobe Premiere 6.5 and I have the DIVX 5.X plugin installed. I am capturing video thru my digi camcorder using firewire. Replaying captured video on my computer is perfect, but the files are super large. A 5 minute video is a little over 1GB!! I swear I have spent all weekend tweaking and changing the settings of the compression methods of each plugin and they all come out exactly the same. 15 sec = approx. 80MB. I must of tried over 30 different variations.

Does anyone know how I can capture say 2 hours worth of video and fit it on one DVD disc without loosing any noticable quality. I need to know a somewhat easy program that I can use and the type of compression. I know in theory this can be done because by backing up 2 hour DVD movies, they fit on a 4.7 GB discs and the picture looks very similar, if not the same. Is there a way to capture this to my harddrive while using the compression so I can record it straight to a disc right away? So there is no need for converting or anything like that. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. JoshuaL

JoshuaL Extra

I don't know of any way to capture 'straight to hard drive' using compression. However, if you have a digital camcorder with DV output (I assume you do) then you can capture a large DV file on the computer and then compress it using any number of options (XviD, MPEG-2, DivX, etc.)

I'm not aware of any way to get around the two step processing for DV video - maybe others are, though.

3. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

OK, your write...i do have a sony camcorder with digi output. Ive been reading other places since I read this and found that mpeg2 is what I probably want to use(to minimize space). Do you have a suggestion on the type of software I can use to convert? Thank you.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

5. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

Ok thx Pat. I'll give it that a try.

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

TMPGEnc is excellent but with highest quality settings you're looking at several hours encoding on a reasonable PC.

In short, there's no way around this unless you're prepared to spend a LOT of money. There are capture cards available which can do on-the-fly MPEG2 compression but the quality can be poor and of course if you don't like the results you have to capture it all over again.

Seriously, capture first, then process.

For capturing I use WinDV, a tiny freeware app that captures just as well as anything else. TMPGEnc does the encoding (MPEG2 compression will only work for 30 days unless you actually buy the package).

btw you'll need some kind of DVD authoring application to create your disc. IFOEdit is extremely simple (no menus or anything other than the most rudimentary features), but it's free and works.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'll be in the authoring/encoding boat within a couple of weeks myself because I just placed my order for parts for a new PC, hopefully the upgrade in horsepower will cut down the encoding time for me.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm just barely starting to get into this. bought an external dvd burner (hp 300 something...i think) plus pinnacle studio-8.

i only have an analog camcorder (sony hi-8), so i assume i'm going to need something to capture the video to my hd (i'm installing a secondary 40g - hopefully that'll hold me over since it was free. my 80g is already almost full - dang mp3's).

i was looking at the dazzle capture device, but was wondering if you folks had any opinions on other gear?

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I went with the Datavideo DAC-100 for my analog video capture solution. It was $180 delivered (I got it off the only vendor that Pricewatch has listed for this product).

From what I've read, it's like the Canopus ADVC-100, but $80-$100 less.

10. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

OK, so Rob...try this one...

I have get digital cable through my local cable company. On the back of the cable box there is a DVI connector of HDTV. My video card has this same plugin ( Geforce TI 4200 ABIT 128mb) And [​IMG]
    (It's the connection on the right)

anyway.can I use this to capture my tv signals? or is my video cards bandwith not large enough??

11. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

Oh! and what about ULEAD? this one allows you to capture directly to MPEG2

Are u saying the video quality will be bad? I'm thinkin about tryin it out this weekend myself....

And.... [​IMG] the Phillips DVD Recorders and equiptment like that allow you to record to a disc so that the disc is complete around the time that the show is over. Is this correct? And I'm assuming the quality is good, so how can this be duplicated on a computer? What equipment is needed?

12. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Mark, can't help you with the HDTV thing as we don't have it over here and I know nothing on the subject.

Never tried the Ulead software but I think some of the other chaps here have. Consumer DVD recorders probably used hardware-based MPEG encoding which obviously is going to give much better performance than software-only encoding. You can get capture cards which will do this, but again the cost is higher.

TMPGEnc (by all accounts) performs probably the best MPEG2 encoding with the exception of pro-grade software such as CinemaCraft Encoder.

13. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Mark, I'm guessing that DVI connector on your video card -- all three connectors -- are just outputs. You can't capture with it. I know of no video cards that do.

The conventional wisdom is that consumer-level hardware MPEG encoders, while faster, will produce worse results than a good software encoder, which takes longer. Although with a fast P4 with HyperThreading, or a dual Xeon with HyperThreading, you can do real-time with TMPGEnc.

//Ken

14. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Mark,

My experiences have shown Rob's statement to be correct.

If you plan to edit your capture, then my suggestion is to capture as an .AVI file, with slight compression. Then edit the .AVI file with VIRTUALDUB (freeware) and create another .AVI, compressing the edited video to your liking.

Then convert the new edited .AVI into an .MPEG with TMPGEnc. .MPEG-1 files can be made with freeware version. To create .MPEG 2 files, you must get the .MPEG-2 encoder add-on.

BE WARNED: Capturing and editing video files takes up a lot of HD space. Be ready to increase your HD capacity as you progress on to bigger projects. Capturing .AVI files requires more space but the flexibility you gain in editing is worth it.

I use ULEAD VideoStudio6 to create video files (.AVI - .MPEG-1 or .MPEG-2).

Then I use ULEAD’s DVD MovieFactory2 to author, encode and sometimes burn the disc. MovieFactory has simple settings that allow encoding at different bitrates allowing the project to fit on the DVD.

MovieFactory supports PCM and MPEG II audio formats (Dolby Digital audio encoding costs extra). It's PCM audio output is excellent.

Normally the maximum size of the project can be 4.3 Gigs. The remaining space is needed to finalize the disc during the burning process.

Most often I’ll burn the DVD image files created by MovieFactory to disc using Nero.

Regards,
    -Gary

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

is there any advantage to editing a file uncompressed? doesn't seem so...

16. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

17. Scott L

Scott L Producer

18. JoshuaL

JoshuaL Extra

19. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I capture in DV format on my Canopus card. On the conversion of my Star Wars LaserDisc to DVD, the raw .avi files totalled about 26gb in size.

20. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Mark,

I keep my raw, edited and finished files stored for a while after my projects are completed on external hard drives until I need the room for something else.

My internal storage is 360 gigs, internal storage on another networked PC is 300 gigs and I have 240 gigs of external (USB 2) hard drive storage AND I'm always hunting for more space.

I do a lot of projects that use a lot of disc space but the results are stellar. When I delete projects, I defrag the drives.

Regards,
    -Gary