High quality cables for Multichannel playback ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Sep 12, 2002.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

When I first purchased my DVD-A player, I was able to dig out some entry level monster cable I had in my garage somewhere just to play my first multi-channel DVD-Audio disc.

Now I'm considering upgrading my cables, is it worth it ?
    ...Which cables are you using for multi-channel playback ?

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

That is entirely up to you. I would say yes. Many will tell you no.

If you are interested, I know a guy who custom makes interconnects that are supposed to be very good and cheap.(I think they start at around $40 per .5 meter for their entry level cable, 99.9% silver) I can foward you the info (comprehensive). Their site is supposed to be up next month.

I have no affiliation

-rob

3. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

IXOS makes some 6 channel analog audio interconnects, you can get them starting at around $50 from AC4L.. I don't own any of these, but it's a planned purchase for me once I get a switch and ICBM in place. Right now I'm using radio shack gold AV cables to make the connection from SACD to receiver, I can't complain. My main reason for wanting the IXOS is that I use mostly IXOS in my system and they take up a lot less space than 6 individual RCA cables.
    As far as sound quality, I just think you need quality cables. I haven't had my life changed by using $200 cables vs. $30 cables. Some people will tell you differently. If you can tell the difference between really expensive cables and good quality cables then go right ahead... It's always a personal preference.
    -Aaron

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, cables can make a difference in a good system. You should consider a cable upgrade, but you will have to see if your system can bring out the differences. My home-theater system is mid-fi, so I am just using Radio Shack Gold Series and Monster Interlink 400mkII cables for multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio.