What's new

High quality 20 amp sockets (1 Viewer)

Mike Barto

Grip
Does anyone know where I can buy high quality 20 amp sockets I have seen the ones at home depot but I was looking for audiophile grade 20 amp sockets I know they exist I just do not know where to buy them and how much they cost

Mike Barto

Grip
I found what I was looking for on your psaudio link there are not line conditioners but hospital grade wall sockets and they had them for 50.00$ each I am building my home theater room and the dedicated 20 amp circuits for my equipment and the tv will each get one thanks for the link

MikeWh

Second Unit
Ohhh.... I obviously misunderstood. I'd search for "hospital-grade outlet" or "hospital-grade receptacle." Their higher cost is mostly due to the fact that they are usually made with nylon instead of thermoplastics for chemical and wear resistance. So, if you use organic solvents in your HT and are constantly plugging and unplugging your A/V equipment, then these are for you!! :D

FWIW, I used commercial-grade outlets (spec-grade) from Home Depot. My primary reason was that I wanted black and gray outlets, which happened to be the commercial-grade at HDepot. I also noted that the quality of the commercial receptacles was obviously superior to the cheapest residential outlets, so I was happy to pay the extra $1.50 per outlet.

I'm curious---
I'd be interested to hear from other HTF members: did you bother spending $45 more for each of your outlets? I was curious and found somebody's "research paper" (on a site that sells these receptacles to audio consumers---http://www.gcaudio.com/newsletter/2001_summerfall.html). I noted that they said there was SUBSTANTIAL improvement in audio clarity... the difference between night and day....yadayadayada. I also noted that they said that all the outlets in the circuit needed to be these high-grade ones, due to "cumulative resistance in the circuit" (more $$$).

I'm personally skeptical of pretty much anything that is associated with the word "audiophile," as I am rarely convinced by the claims that are usually made.

Now, line conditioners I can at least understand (although I'd probably never buy one, unless my street power sucked).... Anybody have any actual experience with using "higher-grade" outlets?

WarrenHH

Agent
For what its worth, while at CES 2003, I saw a high grade outlet for HT use at the Heatshrink.com booth. Gold plated contacts etc. They were asking $100.00 each for them.
I don't see them listed on their website, but if you are interested, you might give them a call and ask about them, they might email you some details on what makes it so special.
They are associated with Kimber Kable, so you might check there too.
Good luck.

Warren Holm

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Go to your local electrical supply house (used by contractors) and ask for spec-grade outlets. Bryant, Hubbell, Pass & Seymour, and Arrow-Hart (Cooper) all make great 20 amp outlets. The build quality is higher (rated for more insertions/lifetime) and they have high "contact" pressure on the cable prongs.
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks