What's new

High Q vs Mid Q vs Low Q (1 Viewer)

matt.r.w

Auditioning
Hi all,

I'm looking for advice considering Q ratings.
What Q is best for strictly home theater use? Looking Adire's reference plans they seem to say that high Q (.9) is for HT/Rock use, but most people seem to pick mid Q (.707). I've also noticed a lot of people frown on a "boomy" High Q... Remember, I'm asking strickly about HT use, not music.

tia
Matt

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It you want a more natural HT presentation, keeping the Q between 0.5 and 0.707 is probably the way to go. Once the Q gets high, near 1.0, it's underdamped, and gets sloppy sounding.

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
If I were building for HT only, I would consider a vented design. You'll get better low frequency extension and better efficiency, at the expense of some tightness and clarity.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Q alone doesn't mean all that much. For instance, the EBS vented alignments that are quite popular are high Q alignments (Q > 0.7). But since the box is tuned below the resonance frequency of the driver, the bass response does fall off a little before turning that hi-Q corner. And the tuning frequency is so low that the excess transient delay occurs at frequencies below our hearing threshold.

But a high Q alignment with a higher tuning frequency (like you might get with a sealed box) can sound a bit boomy. The tuning is above resonant frequency so instead of an Extended Bass Shelf you get a hump somewhere just above the tuning point.

Try simulating a few different alignments and experiment with different Q's. That should help you understand this stuff better than I can describe it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks