What's new

High Pitched PC Case Speaker Noise (1 Viewer)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
This started on saturday, after I installed a new case fan, though I don't think this has anything to do withe case fan. Whenever I restart my computer, after the initial first beep the PC case speaker makes, it then makes an annoying high pitched note that does not stop until I manually restart the computer and go into safe mode a couple of times. Honestly, I'm about ready to rip it out of the computer smash it into many little pieces, unless someone can tell me what is wrong. Until then, I think I'll just disconnect the speaker for now. That won't do any harm.

**EDIT** Nevermind, problem solved. When I had the case open to install the case fan and new ethernet card, I took out the CPU to do some cleaning. I noticed the computer was running a bit slower since Saturday, because...wait for it... I forgot to plug the power cable for the CPU fan back in. Guess the noise was some kind of warning sound.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Maybe I'm just stating the obvious, but I think it would be thank God I don't have an AMD Athlon card (not that there's anything wrong with them), or else I'd have a burned down computer.

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Well, a lot of the Athlon mobos out there have a temperature probe that will shut the machine down when it hits a certain temperature. I saw a machine like this in the university repair department, and it was actually caused by too much dust caught in the screen behind the front bay fans. The machine wasn't taking in enough cool air, and so the hot air circulating in the machine would cause the cpu to heat to the point of alerting the BIOS and shutting down. Pretty cool, eh?

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
that is cool....maybe the noise my motherboard was making was along the same lines as the Athlon motherboard...except mine doesn't go as far as shutting it down....

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
My MSI board will shut down my pc if my XP 2600+ reaches 70ºC. It is a beautiful feature to protect from fan failures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks