1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

High Pitch Sound from Monitor

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tommy_N, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

I hope you can offer some insight into a problem I am having with two monitors. I think I remember hearing that this is a common problem.

Ocassionally my parents Samsung TV emits a high pitch sound. My father is partially deaf so he doesn't even notice it. But when it occurs I find it too distracting and annoying to watch TV

Now my computer monitor is expirencing the same condition. I think it is still under warranty but I'm not sure. The strange thing is that it doesn't do it all the time.

Any ideas what could be causing this and what can be done about it?

Just for the record we live @ different locations so I don't think it has anything to do with the wiring in the house.

Thanks for any suggestions

Tom

2. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

First, do you have a wireless mouse or keyboard?

Second, is the monitor plugged into a powerstrip, or directly into the wall. What else is plugged in at the same place, and have you tried it in other rooms?

Third, what happens when you change resolution/refresh rate? Does it keep doing it?

3. Tommy_N

Ben,

I have nothing wireless connected. A couple of months ago, before the problem started, I used to use a wireless router.

The monitor is plugged into a Belkin Surge Protector. Also plugged into the surge protector is my computer, speakers and cable modem. All of which were in use before the noise started.

I think my living room and kitchen might be on the same fuse. I haven't tried that yet. If so it is a 15 amp fuse. But this problem occurs regardless of what else is on. For example, I just got home from work, turned my computer on and within 5-10 minutes the sound started. Nothing else in my apartment is on, (besides the normal current draw when something is plugged in and my fridge) If I shut my monitor it goes away.

For my parents, everything is plugged into a surge protector. The only items in that outlet would be receiver, VCR, Direct TV, DVD player and 40 watt light. The only other thing on that fuse would be a couple of lights. The sound happens regardless of whether or not they are turned on.

My resolution is already set at 1024-768. So it's not like I'm at the max 1280-1024. Does that matter? If so how and why?

Thanks

Tom

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

All CRT-based devices emit a very-high-frequency tone (above 15 kHz). Some people are more sensitive to it than others. Others still, like your father, cannot hear it all.

Basically, the sound is normal. (I can tell, upon entering someone's house, when a television set is being used, even if the set is in another room and the sound is muted.)

5. Tommy_N

Jack,

Is there any reason why it gets intermittantly louder? Right now if I'm on top of my monitor I can barely hear it. It's not bothering me at all. Other times from across the room it can be really distracting. The monitor is about 18 months old and I've only noticed the problem in the last couple of months and it seems to be getting worse. Either that or I'm getting more annoyed with it.

Also with my Sony & JVC TV the sound is not audible.

Thanks for such prompt feedback.

Tom

6. Tommy_N

Bump ^^^^^

So is there anything that can be done about it?

Tom