High pitch coming from 36"Sony Wega HD CRT

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris Tedesco, May 27, 2005.

1. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

In the past couple of weeks I've noticed this faint high pitch frequency coming from inside the TV. It didn't bother me at first, but lately it's been getting louder. Still pretty faint to most ears, but it's driving me crazy.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

If I put my ear to the rear of the set, near the vents, that's where the sound is coming from.

I'm starting to think I might need a tech to come out. Sigh...more money to spend..[​IMG]

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately, a high-pitched tone as you describe is probably coming from the transformer. I say unfortunately because there is no fix except to replace it. I'd say you're looking at a couple of hundred dollars.

SMK

3. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

On one of these sets it could be coming from the high voltage transformer, the power supply transformers, the Yoke, the sweep transformers (seperate from HV on these sets), or various coils and chokes (that's why many of them have blobs of glue and epoxy on them to stop vibration. The Stereo Audio circuit can produce whines also (try mute or different channel to test this).

They estimate that 85% of people can't hear the noises that a TV produces which makes it hard to design away the high frequency ringing. Youth and female notice it more than older and male viewers. Even if they determine which part is generating the noise there is a 50% chance the new part will be louder that the original. Only very excessive volume of noise tends to be fixable.

Past general advice was to put some cushioning under the set (felt or plastic place mats work but don't block vents) and don't place the set with it's back to a hard reflective surface.

Good luck but only very loud sounds can be easily silenced and occasionally a company will produce a model that can't be quieted down at all.

4. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

Well, the only thing I know it's not is the Stereo Audio circuit. Mute or no mute, it's still there.

I don't think it's loud enough where I'm going to start replacing things...not yet anyway.

I'm going to look into muffling without covering or blocking the vents.

Thanks, if anyone has any thing else to add, I appreciate it in advance.