What's new

High Output 7.1 system recommendations (1 Viewer)

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all, I'm planning on building a dedicated home theater (3000-4000cuft) in the not too distant future and I'm in search of a good kit speaker to fill my needs.

I'm definitely going the DIY route and I'm going to be doing all the cabinets/crossovers myself. I'm looking for something that will be a good all around speaker and be able to produce serious dynamic performance. Its going to be a dedicated home theater but I don't want to give up too much (or anything really:)) in the music area as I'm sure we'll be listening to music there often as well.

Bass extension isn't too much of a concern as the .1 will be a 4 AV15 IB setup. I've been reading a lot of the posts around here and the GR Research A/V-2/3, Adire Kit281, Vifa home theater and Audax home theater seem to come up as recommendations.

The L/C/R are going to be identical (no horizontal center for me) and I'd like to do the effects and rears as dipole. I've noticed not many kit producers have dipole surrounds, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult (with a little help) to modify most designs for dipole.

I built Wayne J's DIIIs as my first project and have thought of possibly adapting his Eros for 7.1 duty. I'm sure there are many other options out there as well.

Anyway, I'd love it if all the experts (and non-experts:)) out there could give me some advice on my wonderful dilemma!

Oh yeah, I'd like to keep the cost for the setup under $2000 (not including the sub), though I think I could be persuaded to go higher if necessary.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
7 speakers with a $2000 budget leaves about $300 per speaker.

That's getting to the range where you could start shopping for $500-600 kits instead of the $300 kits.

I actually like the sound of monopole surrounds if they are positioned well whereas I think Dipoles are better suited for larger listening sweet spots. I guess it could also depend on the media that'll be for the surrounds.

I don't know what type of sound you're looking for. If you wanted something natural and smooth yet dynamic then go for the GR-Research AV-2 or AV-3 TL. If you want a speaker that's more suited for rock music and sounding forward and more detailed (yet can sound a tad grainy or coarse) then go with the Adire Kit281.

Want something with high sensitivity that can get loud, then check out the HE12 from Adire.

Those are the only speakers i'm familiar with and I'm sure you've probably heard of other suggestions such as:

I'd like to hear the project with the HiVi M8n? + Vifa XT ring tweeter. There's selahaudio, murphyblaster, northcreek, partsexpress, the list goes on...

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator

I think I'd lean more towards natural/smooth. I was wondering if I could get the volume levels I would like out of the AV3. I figure the 5-1/4" woofer may limit it a bit in that respect. My other problem is that I don't really know how loud I want it. I know the numbers, reference level, etc. but I don't really have an idea of what the SPL numbers mean in a real theater setting. Like, what kind of SPL levels do you experience in an actual theater? That is really what I am aiming for.

I don't want to go over board, but I'd rather do that than find my setup can't perform to levels that I want.

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator

My AV2s can easily play very loud. Get them a good subwoofer and they will *rock*. No worries. Before them, I had 100dB/W/m speakers. :)

I don't get it why "forward" sounding speakers should be good for rock/"heavy" music. Gimme something smooth so that I can really crank it up without ear strain!

Actually, right now, I'm going to screen Nine Inch Nail's concert DVD. Wrooom :D

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Room is approx. 5.5m x 4.5m x 2.5m, AV2s are driven by a NAD T762 receiver. I only have 2 AV2s right now, a center speaker will even increase potential HT output...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks