What's new

High Noon (1952) disc reviews? thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
I finally got around to watching Rear Window last weekend and decided to find out what other movies Grace Kelly had been in.

While I know that Dial M for Murder has not been released I know that High Noon has, but have no idea the quality of the release.

Anyone have any opinions on this disc?

-Chad

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
The black-and-white transfer is very good from what I remember. The DVD also has a making-of featurette hosted by Leonard Maltin. It is a must-have DVD if you liked the movie.

I haven't watched it in a while, but my recollection is that it's clean, with good contrast, but loaded with edge and other digital artifacts.
If you must have the movie, go ahead, but it's not a real good-looking disc, especially given current video restoration standards.
MK

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I agree with previous posters. Might be some EE to it, but the general quality of picture in terms of contrast, etc. is pretty solid.

It's not SE, but it's a decent DVD of the film. If I thought an SE was on the way I might say hold off, but as it stands you should probably go for it considering how excellent the film is.

Terry H

Second Unit
Great film in good condition. Price reduction to $15 MSRP sometime this month. I know it can be had for less than $10. You really can't go wrong.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Due to the films unique high-contrast photography, the digital video artifacts are more noticeable, and even less necessary, than they are with most titles.
The audio is also excessively filtered. They removed a lot of pops and cracks, but they also whacked a lot of the high end in the bargain. The opening title music is probably the most egregious example of this. The rest of the film's audio is not as bad as that.
The Leonard Maltin-hosted documentary is a nice extra.
Unless you own the Criterion laserdisc, however, you will not find a better looking or sounding version of High Noon on any video format. You can take that as a recommendation or as damning it with faint praise depending on your own sensibilities. :)
Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks