What's new

High Milage Stories (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
And you will be starting that new thread when Philip?
after I'm done lecturing for two pages how driving is bad, which gasoline you should feed your car, that new car production is bad, and that you should find your next car at a junkyard?

Shane Bos

Second Unit
1990 Dodge Dakota 315,000km on it. It had about 215,000 when I bought it just over 2 years ago. It's only been on 1 trip that was more than 1,000km Calgary to Vancouver. I've replaced the tires, brakes and front suspension and steering box. It also needs a new climate control switch the entire piece is now broken about 3 different switched in it don't work. I plan on driving it 'till it die's hopefully that is after the half million mark.

My Dad putsd about 100,000km every year on his 1 Ton Ford Diesel but gets a new one every 3 years or so. He's nearly at 1 million km's since his first one in 94.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I just turned 50K on my '95 Kawasaki GPZ1100. That may not seem high, but ask most motorcyclists and they'll tell you that's pretty high for a bike. Still runs great.

DarrinH

Second Unit
175,000 on my 94 Toyota Camry which is in the shop at this moment for something simple...I hope

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I just turned 50K on my '95 Kawasaki GPZ1100.That may not seem high, but ask most motorcyclists and they'll tell you that's pretty high for a bike.
Thats because the average motorcyclist is a poseur with a $50,000 custom Harley ($40,000 of which in gold "ride to live" emblems, blech!:rolleyes:) who don't ride at night, in the rain, when it snows, if its below 85 degrees out, if they have to go more than 20 miles, et cetera et cetera...

My last bike I was putting about 14k a year on it. Whic isn't too bad considering in upstate NY we have a 5&1/2 month riding season. But then I hit a deer and totaled it :frowning:

I just got my new bike (took a few years to pay off the medical bills) , a 2003 Vulcan 800, and ride it almost daily. Rain just gives me an excuse not to wash it for another day.

But I digress. At work we have a 1998 Ford Econoline van with 180,000 miles on it. No major work except a brake job every six months (stupid DOT mandate) and it's on its third alternator. Oh yeah, and the radio stopped working last year.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Broke my left leg in three places and suffered enough bruising & pulled muscles to make a football team proud. I believe I owe much of my current living condition to my heavily damaged Bieffe full face helmet.

But what really sucks is that I ruined a pair of Levi's I just bought earlier that day:angry:

Bryan_K

Stunt Coordinator
With all these high millage car stories i wonder just how much money was invested in repair to get it to said millage?

I had a 1990 cutlass supreme HO quad 4 5 spd with 170k on it. At around 125k it started to nicel & dime me. Shoulda sold it then, but i loved that car. You dont really want to know how much i spent in repairs. :frowning:

Now i have a 1998 sunfire GT 5 spd. No problems at all. It has 111k (fingers crossed)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I just passed 150k on my '87 Buick this weekend. My transmission went last year, but haven't had any other problems that cost. When I got the car in 91 it had 117k on it, so I'm not abusing it too much. I've also driven about 3000 miles in a week on it... now THAT drive made me nervous.

Matt_A

Stunt Coordinator
I've got 314,000 miles on my 1981 vw Diesel Rabbit. It's currently a project car, but my parents did buy it new. I'm currently replacing all the seals and gaskets, as the car ran, but leaked like mad! :D

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
My family is kind of known for having older cars (50k is way too new for a purchase!). Below is a sampling:

1975 Chevy Sports van (with Bonsai tree 1 way windows in the back and flower curtains): Sold at 385k miles for $200. The buyer bought it for the engine block. When he had it bored out the machine shop screwed it up and had to buy him a brand new block ($$$$). We made the back axle into a trailer and the metal roof into a BBQ grill.

1985 Subaru DL wagon: Currently at 175k miles, still in use. No repairs except brake pads & CVC joint boots.

1987 Subaru GL wagon: Sold at 180k miles (CVC boots the only issue).

1991 Plymouth minivan: 230k, replaced the transmission 4 times (thank you AAMCO & your lifetime guarantee)

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
i forget the milage.. but we had a toyota camry from.. early 80s.. for a good 12-13 years of heavy use.

my dads dodge van now has 100k miles on it, and those are heavy miles (lotsa cargo)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.