High Level Pro's and Con's of RP and FP

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bill_Boston, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Bill_Boston

Bill_Boston Stunt Coordinator

Hi. I'm in the market for a new TV (budget aside) and was wondering if some of you folks could spend a few moments outlining the general pro's and con's that one should consider for the of the following display devices:

Plasma
    RP DLP
    FP DLP
    RP LCD

I know that this can be very subjective, but, I'm just looking for high-level feedback at this point. For example, a con for FP DLP might be reduced video performance in a lighted room. A pro might be great video quality in a light controlled (or dark) room. A con for RP DLP might be the rainbow effect I've read about. A con for Plasma might be burn in.

Thanks for the help.

- Bill

2. Bill_Boston

Actually, I found this link that is exactly what I'm looking for. But, since it comes from a Plasma-based website, the information may be skewed that way. I was wondering if you guys can look at the below link and weigh-in on the accuracy of the information provided:

http://www.plasma.com/classroom/LCD_..._plasma_tv.htm

Thanks.

- Bill

3. John S

John S Producer

Plasma:
    Pro's - Vibrant color, fantastic off axis performance, Good black levels, Ultra thin.
    Con's - Chance of burn in just like CRT's, Not great in high altitude, Limited size per dollar spent.

RP/FP DLP:
    Pro's - Good color, small form factor, good size for dollar spent.
    Con's - Rainbow effects, poor black level performance, Lamp life, mechanical issues, screen door effect. Additional con of ambient lighting on performance of FP.

RP LCD:
    Pro's - Small form factor, ok size for dollar spent, good performance off axis.
    Con's - Screen door effect, Black levels still not as good as Plasma / CRT.

Small run down I know. But that is sort of what you asked for.

4. Bill_Boston

Hey John ... yes, this is the type of candid response I'm looking for (as well as feedback from my link above.)

But I have a question for you: What is considered "high altitude"? Denver? And, what effect does that have on the video?

Thanks.

- Bill

5. John S

John S Producer

Makes the panels buzz a lot more. You will see 8000' fairly typical in the specs of Plasma for their high side limit.

I do think they may buzz more even in Denver. But I know the curve gets very steep, like 9000' is way worse on them then 8000', but 8000' is not way worse than 7000' and so on.

I, think it may decrease the life span as well.

6. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I agree with a lot of what John said however he missed the boat with the DLP having poor black level. One of the biggest pros for DLP is its' EXCELLENT black level for a DIGITAL display. Yes CRT has better CR and black level than DLP and some plasmas do as well but it is not uncommon at all to get a 3000:1 CR out of a $1,200 FP and RP. So I would add great black levels to DLP technology.

Bill, keep in mind that any digital technology will have screendoor effect and not as good black levels as a CRT. DLP will be better than LCD when it comes to SD because of the increased fill factor in the pixels.
    You are talking about 3 VERY different technologys. Plasma has the "hey that is cool man....you have a plasma" effect. Plasma pictures are nice but like you said....they are pricey. Life expectency is not what people are expecting either. John hit pretty much everything with the LCD/DLP thing.
    The big issue is if you want to go FP or RP. To me FP is the best bang for the buck. If you want a great picture that cane be huge and can control your light than go FP....if you can't then get RP.....it really is tht simple. Sure FP you have a few obstacles such as mounting but there is a lot of projectors out bow that are very flexible. If this is ment to be for all TV viewing AND movies and gaming (if you are into that) than maybe think RP or plasma. What I did was keep my 27" tv for normal viewing (I can care less how big my weathermans head is) and I use the projector for movies and sports. At any rate.....like you are starting to do....DO A TON of research!! There is SOOOOOOOOO much to learn.... good luck to you.

7. John S

John S Producer

Maybe.. Even M. I have to amdit, I see rainbows so bad, I could never really gage the black level performance.

I would assume it has been imporved just as it has with LCD RP over the last few years.

8. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Very understandable John. When I had my first real taste of a DLP FP (X1)...I could not believe people when they said it didn't bother them. I got some nasty headaches from that machine......almost liike I was sea-sick. I was leary when I got my 4805 but the RGBRGB 4X color wheel did the trick. I see rainbows a little but not bad at all now.....and no headaches. I think a lot of people blame their headaches on rainbows when in actuality it is the fact they are not used to a big screen and having to move there eyes all over....which in turn kicks up the rainbows. I think if people gave DLP FP a chance for a week they will learn how to watch it and headaches will be reduced.

9. henning hoffmann

henning hoffmann Stunt Coordinator

Rainbows are why I'll probably never get a 1-chip DLP. Even if I get used to it, what about having guests over for a movie? I can't just tell them to get used to it.

henning
    www.hdblog.net

10. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Have you seen rainbows before?? The percentage of people who actually see rainbows is VERY small. I would certainly not let that deter me from DLP. I also would not be concerned about guests coming over and seeing them. I think if you did a poll to see how many peoples guests complain about rainbows.....the number will be VERY small....if not none at all. Again...not worth eliminating a technology over.

11. John S

John S Producer

I have to admit, they aren't to bad on the 4805 by the way.

The problem with me is, once I see them, I see them on everything / all the time. I was see'n them bad on a friends Mile Davis presentation on his Samsung a week ago, but only once I took notice of them. My Sig. Other, commented on them after we left as well.

12. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

With my experience with the NEC LT150, I've never had anyone who's noticed rainbows. I have parties at my place all the time, and no one has ever complained.

I think the cons for FP are dependent on the technology you use. CRTs, for example, don't have most of those problems. [​IMG]

Jason

13. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Yep...I know what you mean. Once I hear something is DLP one of the first things I do is see if I can see rainbows on it. If it wasn't for these damn forums I would have never even known what to look for and not have noticed them in the first place LOL!! Kind of like vertical banding on LCD's.....never knew what it was until I was told what to look for......now I could never own an LCD. Sounds like you are extremely sensitive to RBE so I don't blame you for staying away. If you see them on a RP which to us FP people is a small screen then you are super sensitive.