High frequency noise and ear pain

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Houchin, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Scott Houchin

Hi everyone,

I just upgraded the audio portion of my home theater system from a 12 year old 2-channel system to a full 5.1 system and I'm having a problem.

My new system is:

Yamaha RX-V1200 receiver

Klipsch SB-1 mains, SS-1 surround, SC-1 center and KSW-10 sub.

I have set up the speaker levels using the on board noise generator and an RS SPL.

The problem I'm having is that there's some high-frequency noise coming from somewhere. It appears that there is now an intermittent noise coming from the TV. When it's happening, its reasonably noticable, but it does go away (only to come back later). The only suggestion that the salesperson had was that the horizontal refresh has started to go bad. However, this noise started at the exact same time that I hooked up the new system, so I'm a bit skeptical that it's just a coincidence.

Also, I'm not sure that that's the only problem. After watching a couple of movies on TV the last two nights (output in Pro Logic II mode), my ears have been bugging me. The overall volume was rather low (low enough to talk to my wife in the other room without raising my voice). So I'm not convinced that something else isn't going on.

The only problem that I could find was that I had inadvertently reversed the polarity of the speaker connection for one of the surrounds. However, I noticed this 1.5 hours into the movie last night and by then I was suffering from enough ear pain fixing a technical problem wasn't going to fix my ears immediately. My ear problem was not the stereotypical ringing in the ears. I had a headache and heard this very soft but high pitched noise.

Does anyone have any ideas of where to start looking for the problem?

Thanks!

Scott Houchin

2. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

I read something on another forum regarding this. TV's often ouput a high frequency noise. It is higher in frequency than most people can hear. Your ears must be very good to pick it up.

I don't think you can do anything about it except get another TV. I think the problem is only with picture tube TV's and doesn't apply to projection TV's.

Someone more knowlegable about this may be able to tell you if this problem is common across all brands or particular brands.

3. Keith Outhouse

Keith Outhouse Stunt Coordinator

Probably the flyback transformer. Mine cost about $200 to repair. (32" panny).

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i also occasionally notice a high-pitched sound coming from some tv's. it's never caused me any physical pain though.

is it possible to hookup a different tv to test? do you hear the noice when only the stereo is on?

5. Scott Houchin

I haven't tried another TV yet, and almost all of my listening is to TV, so I haven't tried it yet.

I did discover something though. I was futzing with the center speaker and I think that the noise may have something to do with the speaker cable for the center speaker laying across the top of the TV (back to front direction). I think that I was able to move the cable around and make the noise come and go, but it wasn't fool proof, so I'm sure there's some interaction with the sound level and frequencies on the center channel.

The cable is Monstor Standard 14 gauge.

Does this make sense to anyone?