What's new

High Fidelity, Tao of Steve, Chasing Amy...what else? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
What else is out there that is similar? I am in the mood for this kind of movies lately - no I am not in love nor in the mood for it :D
I watched High Fidelity a couple of weeks ago. Excellent movie. Jack Black was a total riot! "It's a Cosby sweater! A COSBY SWEATA!".
Tao of Steve was also great. One thing I liked about the move is that the love interest was not a bombshell, or even pretty. A question though, what was that package that the main character received?
Anyway, the point of this thread is to ask if there are any similar light hearted, fun and yet insightful relationship movies out there.
--
Holadem

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I really love High Fidelity. Just a fantastic movie, and Jack Black is phenomenal.

Though not nearly as good a film, one that sorta reminds me of High Fidelity (except from a female POV) is Bridgit Jones's Diary. Again, it's not nearly as good, but I think you'll find some similarities.

Another film that strikes a similar tone is Wonder Boys. It's a bit further afield from Fidelity than Bridgit, but I think it's every bit as good a movie (except for the very last, "tie-it-all-up-with-a-neat-bow" flash-forward ending. But the movie's strong enough otherwise to overcome this minor criticism. And the use of music is every bit as spot-on as in High Fidelity.

Another one that comes to mind is Rushmore, though it's a completely unique film in many ways, but which explores some similar topics with a depth and poignancy that doesn't overwhelm it's whimsical, humorous surface. (But I bet you're already familiar with this one.)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Solid "relationship" movies:
Say Anything
Singles
Lucas
I'm sure there are more, but dinner's ready. Man, I love chili.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
boy, good call on Singles and Say Anything. I'd say those would be a good match if you enjoyed the films you mentioned.

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely on Singles and Say Anything. I also enjoyed Empire Records quite a bit, regardless of flaws. Early Liv Tyler!

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
I second Singles, Say Anything, Rushmore and Empire Records. I would also recommend Swingers as a good movie about relationships from the guys' point of view (which is the common thread of the films mentioned above, I would say). Swingers is tonally a little different, but it is somewhat insightful (if a little over-the-top at points).

I also recommend She's the One for anyone who's a fan of The Brothers McMullen. I know there's dissenting opinion on which of the two is better (they're so similar as to be constantly compared as practically an original and a bigger-budget remake, although that's not really accurate), but She's the One features solid supporting performances by Cameron Diaz, Jennifer Aniston and John Mahoney, to go along with repeat appearances by Edward Burns, Mike McGlone and (ugh) Maxine Bahns.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks