What's new

High End Sony 400 DVD Changer (1 Viewer)

CarlosGH

Stunt Coordinator
I was browsing the internert for good deals for Sony DVD changers. Best Buy has a black 400 disc changer for about $300. I checked on ebay and saw a silver SE DVD changer. The seller claimed it was high end, and I think I've seen it at a speciality store in town. Are there any major differences between the two? If model numbers are needed, just ask.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Carlos,
Remember, the term "High End" is very subjective. A lot of people consider "High End" to be anything over $ 500.00 (change that up or down depending on whom you're talking to).
In the world of hometheater and audio such a price would rate as "Low End" to most experienced listeners.
I have a Denon DVD-2900 that lists for $ 1000.00, but it is considered to be "Mid Priced"
My advice would be for you to perform a search of this forum for threads that apply to that piece of equipment. You may also want to try the avsforum.com also.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Yes there are some important differences, the silver one is a DVP-CX777ES, the ES line from Sony uses much better parts and anti-vibration chassis components, it also has better video chips and most important is has a RS232 port for controlling the interface via computer and a 3rd party software. Trust me these mega-changers all have terrible interfaces that nearly make them unusable, the whole purpose of having you’re entire collection at you’re fingertips is convenience, and Sony especially has done everything they could to sabotage this with their terrible "Disc Explorer" OSD interface. The RS232 control allows direct commands to be fed that will instantly go to the movie selected and skip all the previews, FBI, Menu, and go straight to the start of the movie (in most cases)and it playes SACD's beautifuly. The layer change is very slow on these Sony units which you cant get around, but the 777ES with a computer interface is better then sliced bread once you get it all set up.

http://www.cinemaronline.com/mlserver.cx777es.html

Kevin T

Screenwriter
as a point of reference, the term high-end and sony are rarely seen together. sony's es line is what most would consider mid-fi. some of sony's sacd players (scd-1, scd-777es, etc...) can be called high-end.

kevin t

CarlosGH

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, anything over $300 for a single DVD player is "high end." I get nervous just being in a forum where $1000 is cheap. But you get what you can. Well if you could find both the "low end" (relatively speaking) and the "high end" DVD changer, which is worth paying for? I have a SDTV now, but do plan to upgrade to something a little better.

Chris Cash

Stunt Coordinator

Helloooo!!! Who created SACD in the first place. And I would square off my STR-DA7ES against any of the big boys on the market. The ES line can hold it's own in the $1000-$5000 line. This statement is just another example of the Sony bashing that goes on on this site. Thats why I rarely come hear anymore.

~C.C.~

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i've owned sony audio gear before and it was decent. i currently own a sony projector. i never said sony was trash. hell, if you would bother to finish reading my post you would see where i point out sony's sacd players as "high-end".

kevin t

Chris Cash

Stunt Coordinator
Sony is.

You apologized about the SACD players in you own way but what about the rest of the ES line? It stands as a formidable adversary to any of the best out there.

~Chris~

Chris Cash

Stunt Coordinator
Oh and by the way, I happen to have a Sony DVP-CX985V. Its a great dvd player.

This is one thing I have yet to understand. This is my second Sony Mega changer. The first was the old 200 disk unit. What is so hard about bringing up a DVD menu, scrolling down to the movie you want to see, and pressing enter. All from the couch. Isn't that easier than having to get up, look for the movie you want to watch, take it out of the box, stick it in the DVD player, watch the movie, and then have to take it back out of the DVD player and put it back in the box and put it back with the other DVD's.

Not to mention, I have for the most part, child proofed my system. All of my components are locked behind tinted glass. I do have a Pioneer 667A that I use for DVD-A, SACD, and rental movies. Having a changer helps keep me from ever touching my gear except for isolated incidents. Only a few companies have ever even taken on making a DVD Mega changer. Marantz, Integra, JVC, and Sony are about the only ones I know.

Both the DVP-CX985V and the DVP-CX777ES are great players. I for one wouldn't take the DVP-CX777ES because it doesn't come in black. It would clash with the rest of my gear(which is 80% Sony).

~C.C.~

Kevin T

Screenwriter
mmmmmm...your sarcasm tastes delicious! could i get a side of cynicism with that as well. i tried your scathing wit but it was flat.

this is a forum where people express their ideas and opinions about audio equipment that they own, have owned, or demoed. i'm sorry i'm not a shill for sony as my experience with them has not been as positive as yours. don't get your feathers in a ruffle just because you don't like coming somewhere where people may have a different opinion than yours.

kevin t

Chris Cash

Stunt Coordinator
There is a difference between expressing an opinion and be insultfull. I have a big distaste for HK products, but i'm not going to come on here and say they are crap. Why, because a lot of people like them. And I respect that. I think you could express your views without slamming an entire group of people(Sony enthusiasts).

~C.C.~

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i guess we just have a difference of opinion. i don't consider mid-fi a slam.

kevin t

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Has anyone compared the sound quality of the CX777ES to the older Sony mega-changers? I own a CX90ES, which I think is the best sounding mega-changer ever made, but the capacity is only 200 discs, and none of the 300 or 400 disc models I have demoed (Sony, Denon, Pioneer) come close to the sound quality of the CX90ES. Also, I like the integration options that the CX777ES provide. Are there any sites other than the one listed above that demonstrate how to create a smooth CD collection interface on the computer using a RS-232 port? Thanks

Mike Keith

Second Unit

I have a CE555ES CD mega changer that sounds astounding for Redbook CD playback, the 777ES player is the same from what I can tell. The RS232 port is a god send, I wouldn’t do without it my self, It allows a great amount of flexibility and very easy operation that will blow away the Sony Interface. DVD Lobby and Music Lobby are a good way to go for interfacing to the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread