What's new

High End or Low End...Real Difference? (1 Viewer)

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e...t=1552&scat=242

Thats my current system. I paid about 300 for it.

How my question is how much difference will I hear out of a system that runs, say $1000.

I read several reviews and it seems like my system got better reviews than the high end stuff. Do you think its because more people go for the cheaper stuff?

I would really like to hear opinions from someone who started out in my range, and then upgraded to a higher end setup. Was there a great deal of change of quality? Or are most of the changes just in volume.

My main complaint about my system is the volume level. Mainly on older dvds. Sometimes I would just like a little more volume.

My theory is that you should be able to make your ears hurt :). That doesnt mean I like it that loud, but I'd like to have more than I need.

Guillaume H

Auditioning
I read several reviews and it seems like my system got better reviews than the high end stuff. Do you think its because more people go for the cheaper stuff?
Well obviously, when they test a $2000 pair of speakers, they will compare its sound to speakers in the same price range.

I'm sure a not-so-good $2000 pair of speakers would be better than a good set of $300.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Well, a Bose system could cost over $1000 and still not sound that good vs. many less expensive systems, so going by price tags isn't a guarantee of stepping up in quality.

Yet I believe that with some careful shopping you could definitely find a system costing $1000 that would be superior to a $300 system. Louder, clearer, etc.

BTW, the link you provided isn't working (Best Buy indicates the product is not found)

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
Sony 450-Watt Dolby Digital/DTS Home Theater Surround Sound Package
Model: HT-DDW740

If the link doesnt work, then this above is my humble system.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Clay, I started out in Home Theater a few years ago with a Sony system very similar to yours. It gave me about a year of enjoyment and I was satisfied with the purchase.

Since I listened to Music through my system, I decided that the speakers were the first thing I needed to upgrade and went with larger more efficient front mains (using the available amp power more efficiently also gives you more of the 'loudness' you refer to). After hearing the difference the upgrade made, I purchased the remaining speakers from the same manufacturer.

I have since upgraded the receiver for more power and features and will soon be getting a separate power amplifier. The second set of speakers is getting replaced with a third and a new subwoofer.

Obviously I am hooked on this 'hobby'.

If you are happy with your system as it is, then it is great for you. If you wish to see/hear what other equipment might do for you, then find a local dealer who is willing to spend time with you and let you test drive some equipment. As the other posters here have said, cost doesn't necessarily equate to good quality or reviews.

Since the volume level seems to be a concern, then go listen to some speaker with higher sensitivity (Klipsch Synergy line for example). They may be a bit bright in the treble for you, but they are able to really crank it up with lower amplifier levels. A larger sub will also help with what you are looking for, but I would certainly start with the speakers.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like you have some doubts on your system and looking for reassurance. My advice: treat it like your brand of coffee, beer, ice cream. Sure, there are 'better' and 'different' flavors out there. But enjoy what you can afford now and dont worry about the rest. If you dont, when you sit down to watch a movie you will have a tape running in the back of your mind saying: "..this would sound so much better if I had ..." This will ruin your enjoyment.

The equipment is the cup from which you drink the beer. It's not the beer or the friends you have over to share the beer. Dont confuse the two.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
Reassureance is always good to have :)

Its just that in the next couple of months I'm going to be coming into a little bit of money. I was trying to decide what difference a new setup would really make. The next one I go after will probably be 6.1, since dvd's seem to be moving that way (Lotr etc)....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks