High End HTB?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Lovely, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Jason Lovely

Jason Lovely Stunt Coordinator

Are there any HTB systems like the Kenwood HTB-544 that are considered high end? Are there any high end HTB systems that are as highly recommended as the Kenwood?

2. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

I have been researching them for quite a while. The only other two I know of are the Denon DHT 682XP and the Onkyo HTS 490. I have read two user reviews off of pricegrabber.com for the Denon. Both really like it. One said he compared it to the 504 and the Denon was better.
    The Denon 682XP is a 1602 with Mission speakers from what I have been told. The HTS490 is the Onkyo 494 with Polk speakers, again, from what I have been told.
    Denon link on pricegrabber.com :http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...a7b245bffbd35/
    User reviews : Reviewed by: TOMMYT, from TN Date reviewed: 27-Jan-02
    Strengths:
    Has a lot of features for the price. Very good sound. In the store other models had gargled base sound. Has very clear base, even at high volume. Sounds great with my DVD player via Optical.
    Weaknesses:
    Remote is complicated.
    Summary:
    Great value for the price. Great sound. Easy to assemble. Works great with DVD movies, and CD Music. Great Base. Remote is complicated. I purchaced unit at Sears. Sears matched the price on Price-Watch. I previously only owned Sony audio components. This Denon is much better than my previous sony stereo.
    Rating:
    Experience: 3 Months
    Reviewed by: davidleg, from MS Date reviewed: 17-Jan-02
    Strengths:
    sound
    Weaknesses:
    complicated remote control
    Summary:
    I bought my Denon at sears paid 468.00 (price match)
    I am very happy with it the base is great my whole room start shaking, and the speaker are very clear with no distortion even at 10db.The only thing I did not like was the speaker cable so if you can replace it with a better cable. I also looked at the Kenwood 504 before buying the Denon, and let me tell you there is no comparison. The speakers have a nice big magnet.
    you get a lot for the buck.
    (Sears regular price is 699.99 but they will match a Internet price)
    Onkyo link from Pricegrabber.com : http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...a7b245bffbd35/
    I have heard no user reviews on it, but I have listened to it at CC. It sounds very good. I am going to go listen to the Denon soon at a Sears in town. Right now just based on specs, I am leaning towards the Denon.
    Hope that helps.

3. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

There is a review in this months issue of Audio Video Interiors. They go through 4 pages worth. About 30 each page. Check it out.

4. Jason Lovely

Thanks for the help...I'll check them out...

5. Jason Lovely

Lowell, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know what you decide on.

6. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

"Lowell, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know what you decide on."

No problem if that is what I do. I am looking at another option of a slow upgrade. Buying a receiver, mains and a CC. Then I will slowly add better surrounds and a better sub. (I have Aiwa surrounds and 8" sub) Since only about 15% of the sound comes out of the surrounds, I want a solid front sound stage first.

I want to know if Onkyo is going to upgrade the HTS490 package with their new 500 model as well. Better features than the 682XP.

I am also interested in seeing if the new Onkyo and Yamaha lines have problems with the audio drop-outs I have been reading about with the movies Atlantis, Pearl Harbor and JP3. I think both new lines are due out in April.

To many choices, I am driving myself (and my wife) crazy!