What's new

High-End HT Stores in the DC or Phila. Area (1 Viewer)

Dan Baxter

Agent
I shop at Hifi house in Delaware on a regular basis. I've know Anthony for some time. He is a bit intense and can come off as a car salesman. However, he's a good guy and usually gives the lowest price of all the salesman at Hifi. Once you get to know the guys at Hifi I think you will find that have a lot more personallity then the people at Oveture. Oveture is a bit snobish and if you don't pull up in a BMW or Porshe they usually don't seem interested in you biz.

Dan

Edward M

Stunt Coordinator
At Overture I usually talk to Joe who seems pretty cool. And he usually gives me pretty good prices. That's who I borrowed the sub from...for 4 days.

At HiFi house..I think I know Anthony...younger guy I think....still can't beat Gene. Gene, in my opinion, is the most honest, and gives the best pricing. Gene is NO used car guy.

Just my opinion

Ed

Dan Baxter

Agent
Joe is pretty cool, he use to be the manager of Sound Studio on 202 (no closed). Anthony is the obvious italian. I try and stay away from Ray. Ray just seems shady and I've never trusted him. Maybe he is the used car salesman. I also agree Gene is very good to work with. I'm really supprised the number of people from Delaware in the forum. It's kinda nice to know that I'm not the only HT nut in Delaware.

Dan

John Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator
I'll have to agree with those who have mentioned SoundEx in Willow Grove, PA. Some of the salesmen aren't the most knowledgeable in the world, but they will get you someone who can usually help you out. They do have lots of equipment on display if you have time for demoing.
I also like the High Fidelity House in Jenkintown. I've never actually bought from there, but was impressed with the store.
Because I'm only two minutes from SoundEx, I haven’t really looked for any other dealers in the area. I'll have to check out World Wide Stereo in Montgomeryville, I didn't even know they were up there.
Oh, and were surrounded by Tweeters up here if you really want to splurge.;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dan said:
Oveture is a bit snobish and if you don't pull up in a BMW or Porshe they usually don't seem interested in you biz.
Well, I pull up in a Honda Accord, and they always seem willing to take my business. ;) I've always worked with Damien at Overture and have done well.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Scott-C,

Which Gramophone did you go to? I've been to the Columbia one a few times (used to be in Ellicott City) and I thought they were great. I've never been to the Timonium store though. I can't stand the salesmen at Soundscape (at least the two that I've dealt with).

FYI - If you haven't been to the new Gramophone in Columbia, you should definitely check it out if for nothing else than to check out the different setups they have in each room. I went in there to just by cables and the salesman fired up the $60,000 home theater room for me just to see and hear it (fully knowing there was no way I was buying anything but cables).

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
ScottH,

I've been to the Columbia Gramophone a bunch of times and find it to be a pretty condescending experience. I almost get the sense that the salespeople in there are irritated when I ask questions or ask for assistance. The Timonium store is pretty much the same story, maybe just a touch nicer. I have dealt with one guy in there who isn't bad - a little smug, but otherwise ok. In thinking about why, I have to guess it's because the salespeople aren't making the big bucks on walk-in traffic; they're looking for the potential custom-installation customers (those that would spend $60,000 on a custom setup). Otherwise, I'm at a loss why I and others I know have been treated so badly when we're in the store. And, I'm not talking about discrete stuff here - I mean overt rudeness. A relative of mine went there and started asking serious questions about HDTV tuners, and was fairly serious about buying one. The salesguy actually got annoyed with the questions (you could see it all over his face). We walked right out - no sale. What company can afford to lose that kind of sale because of crappy customer service? I've seriously considered writing a letter to the president of the company to see what he has to say about this.

I will say this, however: the Timonium store has a demo room that is as close to my dream HT as I've seen. You should see it - columns, red velvet with ornate gold fixtures, comfy leather recliners, riser, 110" screen...beautiful. If you're in the area, check it out. It's on York Rd.

I'll admit the folks at Soundscape aren't the best either, but for me, I haven't been snubbed there the way I've been at Gramophone.

Over the next few years, I'll be in the market for lots of new upgrades to my HT (and will be building a dedicated room), and unless they offer me ridiculous, can't-refuse prices, I won't give even a dollar to Gramophone due to the way I've been treated. I don't even like to go in there any more. That's why I'm so interested in other places in the region. I'll travel a few hours if I have to to get good customer service and fair prices.

Others may have not had this problem; I'm just relaying my experiences with this franchise.

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
Audio Video Solutions in Laurel is a decent place. They carry Paradigm stuff that I was interested in, and (I'm not 100% positive on this) Lexicon gear. Friendly staff, I've never gotten any attitude whenever I went there.

Andrej

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks