What's new

High end DVD Player buy now or wait for HD (1 Viewer)

tiagoSS

Auditioning
Hi all,

(My first post, so please indulge me some room)

As an early adopter, I've buy in 2000:
- Sony AV Receiver STR-DB925
- Sony DVD Player DVP-S725D
- Sony CD Player CDP-XB920
- Monitor Audio Silver 2x 5i, 10i, 2x 3i

Now, my DVD player is failing again, because already in 2003 went for repair.

With this trigger I though of going more high-end equipment, because now I have wife authorization and it probably would be:
- Denon DVD-A1XV
- Denon AVC-A1XV

As we all know HD is coming, it's not my concern to have a discussion on who will win the HD world, either BluRay/HD-DVD/HVD.

My doubts are in fact related to should I buy this new Denon "kit" with a High End Player and Amp/Receiver, or should I buy a "slim dvd player" to survive during the next times and wait for HD dust to settle?

Thanks,
Tiago

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I am waiting. I just got a Zenith DVB-318 for about $160 which upconverts to 1080. That will do fine for me until the whole HD thing has settled down.

tiagoSS

Auditioning
But can it be that the HD for Video follows the same path as the "HD for Audio", in such case for DVD-A and SA-CD that exist both in terms of players but in terms of people buying content, it's still an audiophile above the sky choice.

Do you all think this is the case, and so CD it's still the major playground for all listeners, is this going to happen also with video that DVD will still be the format of choice in many years to come (even after HD exists)?

Thanks to all,
Tiago

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
There are plenty of players out there that do an excellent job and won't break the bank. Why not grab one of those and save some cash. It's win win since you aren't giving up picture quality and you can see this HD saga play out and perhaps invest in one of the factions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks