High end design / installation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roy K, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Roy K

Roy K Auditioning

Hi all, I'm researching companies that specialize in professional home theater installation $30,000 +

I've seen tons of adds but I'd appreciate any words of wisdom to make a more informed decision. Located in the New York area but location takes a back seat to quality.

Thanks in advance,

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

References, references, references.

Talk to people and see what they have to say. See what equipment they are recommending and then do a little research to see if it is quality stuff and at a fair price.

Also, see what kind of after the job support they offer.

3. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

It will take some footwork. Maybe check with a couple of builders and see whom they recommend then check them each out yourself, and check references and past work done.

4. Brian Vaughan

Brian Vaughan Stunt Coordinator

In New York City I love dealing with the people at Innovative Audio Video. You should give them a call and get some of their references. I haven't used them to do any installations (just bought components there), but I believe they've got a good reputation for it. Check out their website at: http://www.innovativeaudiovideo.com They even have links to online articles about some of their installations.
    Good luck, Brian

5. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Roy:

Try Innovative Audio in NYC: (212) 634-4444, and ask for Jonathan. (You can mention that I recommended him.)

Larry

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Roy: Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    If you do pick a contractor, please keep a diary of what you discuss, the decisions made and take pictures during the construction. We would all love to see the room take shape.
    You should know that there is a entire seperate fourm for "Building a Home Theater Area" where you might get more focused response. (This is the Hardware area).
    A custom-install shop is less about the equipment and more about the installation. Since they have low-volume, they do not get great prices on equipment. They typically have 1/2 sets of different speakers & equipment in display rooms.
    My best advice to you is to run out and grab some issues/back issues of "Audio Video Interiors" magazine. This is the "Home and Garden" magazine that is typically concerned with how things look rather than performance.
    You need to decide if you want a dedicated theater room ONLY for movies, or are you trying to have a multi-use room. Each of these have different challenges.
    Some places will make a custom cabinent for your TV/equipment and sell/install things. This is one level of things.
    A better place will be able to run dedicated electrical outlets, add a second-layer of sheatrock to the room with soundproofing, add lighting controls, acoustic treatments, muffle the AC/Heat vents, do "blackout" controls over any windows, etc. This is the boring, but important part of a dedicated HT room.
    (You also need to decide if you are going with a RPTV type display or a projector unit. A nice Barco projector with the outboard Farjuda scaler can run $25,000. Or you can get the new, small projector units for $3,000. A good installation shop will have several options for you.)
    The final step is all the decorator touches: theater style seats, cornices with lights, popcorn machine in the "lobby", etc.
    The more you walk in with pictures/ideas the easier it will be for the shops to give you a quote. They will be annoyed if you walk in clueless with money burning a hole in your pocket, take 3-5 hours for them to educate you as to the options, and then never return because you were just trying to get "ideas".
    They will love it if you come in with a sketch of your room, and 2 or 3 pictures of things you find you like and then let them juggle prices for cabinents/room modifications/equipment to fit your budget.
    Also, if you have some beloved equipment (speakers, electronics, etc.) make sure you bring this up front. Sometimes they will not want to use your electronics in favor of things they know work well together and can control with a single remote.
    (Yes, it sounds funny to select equipment based on the remote, but when you think that your main interaction several times per day with the SYSTEM will be the remote, it's not that bad of a criteria).
    Good Luck.