High end componet cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Robert D, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Robert D

Robert D Extra

Hello,
    Being a firm beleiver that better constructed audio cables do make a difference, Im wondering about the video end. Will high end componet cables give you a better picture. Also what would be a good brand for my system? My system is Lexicon MC-8, RT-10, Pioneer elite 710, Sony HD100.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

There are many companies on the net there are excellent for both audio and viedo. I just recieved my Componet cables from Rhino cables (http://www.rhinocables.com/rhino_products.htm ) and MAN does it bring out the picture. I have a Hitchi HDTV moniter with componet inputs and the cables REALLY bring out he amazing color and pic qlty. Some poeple say bettercables and among the very best but at a high price ( but not the highest, Kimber Kable )
    I aso have digital coax for my DD & DTS from Rhino cables. Excellent contruction and # 1 customer survice in my book. I'll give you some links to comanies I know off.

www.rhinocables.com
    www.bluejeancables.com
    www.zucable.com
    www.kimberkable.com
    www.bettercables.com
    www.mr-cable.com

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The custom cable sites are highly recommended/endorsed by videophiles and engineers around here.

While I agree that "better constructed" is good, this does not mean fancy braid or heat-shrink to make the cables look thick. With video cables it's 3 things:

- finding good quality coax
    - finding RCA plugs designed for that coax (yes, RG6 coax comes in a variety of dimensions)
    - using the proper tools to strip & crimp the plugs onto the coax

That's it. You can add Teflex, heat-shrink, cable-boots, etc., but it's all for show. It does not affect performance.

Most of the above custom sites use Canare/Belden coax and the wonderful Canare RCA plugs. These have proven to work very well in tests that use video analysis equipment, not just someones eyes.

A possible step-up would be the more exotic Silver-coated coax now sold by BetterCables. When a recent BC customer had some issues with his new cable, the president of the company called the customer to help diagnose the problem (turned out to be pilot-error). You wont get this kind of service, and perhaps quality, out of many other brands with much higher price tags.

4. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

I second a vote for Brad at Bettercables (see link above). I also like the component cable made by projection systems

http://www.crtcinema.com.

5. Cliff Olson

Cliff Olson Stunt Coordinator

I would recommend some higher-ended cables. You've got some very nice gear there (Lexicon rules!). Mine is not as nice (DC-1 w/ Sony DVP-NS999ES DVD), and I'm using AudioQuest YIQ-4 Component Cables. The colors will blow you away (I view them on a 65" W/S HDTV), if you have a high res monitor. AQ has the YIQ-5 out now, or I would also recommend using Illuminations D-60 (3 runs) for component as well. Both cables are solid silver, which is a better conductor than copper. Again, if you have a large screen HDTV, if not, wait 'til you buy it, since the difference won't be as noticable.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Steve, these cables made by the custom sites are not "really expensive". The High End Monster cables sell for about $220 at the store. The custom cables start at about $50, and the 'exotic' silver-coated cables at about $90. They tend to use Canare connectors and the matching Canare crimp-dies and coax. Since the tools and parts were designed to work together it's very easy to get a well-made cable. (As a cable-builder you should appreciate this.)

Yes I've seen the $800 price tag for a 1 Meter coaxial-digital cable. That's not what most of the responders are talking about.

Robert - did we answer your question or are you still interested in opinions on higher-priced cables in the $300+ range?

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

On another note: I just tried to look up the RevoTech connectors (always looking for new connection types) and the ones I found dont really look all that good for analog video.

If this Link to the connectors is accurate, it looks like the RevoTech unit is simply a RJ45 "quick disconnect" adaptor. This adds 2 devices in-line to the cable and while acceptiable for DIGITAL signals, it looks like it totally blows the concept of a uniform 75 ohm impedence for analog video.

RevoTech seems to make security video systems. Even their own products do not use their connectors. They have BNC connectors on their PC cards. (BNC is a superior connection type to RCA plugs - but we are 'stuck' with RCA for most consumer electronics).

And RevoTech also offers a line of 3rd-party ink-jet cartridge's.

Unless I found the wrong "RevoTech", this company hardly looks "high quality". The connectors are more about:

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The ink cartridges appear on the "Products" page after you pass through and return (it was strange - I think there is a bug in their web site).

RJ45 connectors are common in computer networks. But they are designed to work with twisted-pair network cable carrying digital signals.

Your coax is "co-axial". It is really 2 wires with 1 suspended in the middle of the other. The spaceing between the two is very important to maintain something called a 75 ohm impedence. While you may not like "F" connectors, all the connectors (including fittings, and barrel connectors) are designed to maintain this spacing. While lower frequencies (subwoofer, analog) signals dont care about impedence, as you get into the KiloHz and MegaHz range, breaks that dont maintain this spacing act like a "speed bump". This causes reflections in the cable for analog signals. Digital - it's a lot less sensitive so the modular connectors are fine. But it's really not good for analog signals.

9. Robert D

Robert D Extra

Hello again,
    Thanks for all the posts! Im leaning toward getting "Audioquest", since thats what I use for my audio interconnects and speaker cable . Ill need two 1 meters and one 2 meter. Im looking at spending around $600.00. Can I please get some more info on the "Audioquest"?
    Unfortunately Ill be out of town for a few days so I wont be able to reply right of way.
    Once again thanks for any input!

Rob

10. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

11. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Arthur,

Why would you add Cobalt cable to the list?
    They sell disguised Canare cable and charge almost twice as much for it.
    Following all sell the same Canare cable:
    Heartland 1m component set $45.00
    Bluejeans 1m component set $36.95
    Cobalt 1m component set $86.35

12. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

I'll second Cliff Olsen's recommendation of AudioQuests YIQ-4. I noticed a huge improvement when I replaced my "high end" monster m1000's with those, and they were an improvement over many other cables I auditioned. Checkout Audio Advisor. They have'em.[​IMG]