What's new

High End CD/DVD Duplicators w/Thermal Printing? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone recommend a high end duplicator that can handle dub jobs between 1,000 and 3,000?

We have a DiscLab Rimage at work and it works great for jobs under 100, but we've tried to do 1,000 and the machine was just not meant for that kind of volume.

They do have the Producer family, which can handle what we need it to do, but those run close to $40,000. We paid $20,000 for the one we have and my boss wants me to research other systems.

I looked into DiscMakers, but they will not do what I need. For one thing, they only do inkjet as opposed to high-end thermal printing.

Anways, has anyone had experience with duplicators? Any suggestions? thanks.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
We also use Riamge at work, and altough it is spendy (and the drives are slow) it does what it is supposed to do (most the time) so you may have to eat the cost.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
If you need a run of 1000+, isn't it cheaper to have a master made and do a press run? Or is it a question of turn-around time?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Not only turn around time, but also to keep things "in-house".

Dennis, yeah, we submitted a proposal to my supervisor and president, but my supervisor wants me to see if there's anything that comes close to what the high end Rimage can do (but cheaper). I can't seem to find anything (probably because there aren't any), but we're worried about him gagging on the initial $40G pricetag without offering other solutions.

I've already submitted that our current one (at $20G) can't handle what we want it to do, so they are aware that they're going to have to spend big bucks in order to get something worthy. I just don't know any other high end systems except for Rimage (for a price comparison).

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
It's a common malady, but for some reason people seem to think that there is no logical flaw in the thinking "We want the best there is, but it has to cost half of what the best gear costs." That particular malady seems to be truly entrenched among the CFO's out there.

If one could buy a top-of-the-line Mercedes for what a subcompact car costs, everyone would be buying top-of-the-line Mercedeses instead of subcompacts.

“There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man’s lawful prey.” - John Ruskin. Written a century ago, and still apt.

And while I'm tossing out quotations: "People want economy and they will pay any price to get it." - Lee Iacocca

Not sure if that helps any, but at least it gave me the opportunity to add a post with some quotations. ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I know what you mean. I go throught this all the time. What kills me is, they originally didn't want to spend $40G, so they bought the $20G model, but now they are considering the $40G model. So instead of spending only $40G to begin with, they're going to end up spending $60G total. :rolleyes

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Ah, the same old "waste money trying to save money" executives are famous for. That's why they make the big bucks and you don't!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ah, here's one of my FAVORITE (so called) ways that my bosses think they are saving money...

Instead of spending a few hundred dollars on a B&W laser writer, they make one of my supervisors print to the color printer. He'll print HUNDREDS of pages a week and we go through toner like mad! Since there are 4 toner cartridges (i.e. C, M, Y, & K), all at $100/each, we can easily spend close to $400 every few months.

:rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks