High -End Cable vs Midrange Cable--Do you See a differenc?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Vijay P, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Vijay P

Vijay P Extra

I just bought a 42" Samsung Widescreen TV, the sales rep (Futureshop) started picking the cables and stuff out for me without even asking for me towards the end, he picked up a $160.00 Component Monster Cable (4') I said you nuts man I'm not buying that He goes well this makes the most difference man don't buy the cheap stuff.....I said I'm not picking the cheap stuff but just mid-range,,,so I picked up the $45.00 CDN Monster Cable.

Obviously our buddy works on commission and just wants a piece of the pie...

I would'nt go get the $5.00 cables to hook up a dvd to a HDTV you get my drift.

I once tried the high end stuff for my optical cable could'nt really tell the difference, now I know some of it depends on you system, but when youre spending maybe $5000.00 on just you amp than you could definately afford the 150.00 optical cable.

But seriously does anyone really think there is a noticable difference between High End ($160.00 for 4') and Mid-range ($45.00 for 4') cable.

2. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I would say it depends on the midrange cable and how picky you are with your picture.

3. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

AR Pro and Blue Jeans makes good component cables. NO WAY would I GIVE $150 away for Monster anything. They may be well made but for about $70 I got a 9 foot blue jeans component cable that is as good as anything you can get for a reasonable price.

That would have ticked me off enough to cancel the whole sale. duffas [​IMG]

4. I've often wondered about the whole cable equation as well.

My current rig is very modest ($450 WEGA with 16x9 mode).

Based on the price of the TV, I opted for $10 component cables instead of $45 Monster's.

Best DVDs look almost 3D, poor DVDs look like hell.

Some people say 'get the cheapest cables you can', but spending on a par with your TV size is probably the best way to go.

Think we both did the right thing.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

simple answer --

buy the cable and see if you notice a difference.

just be sure you give yourself a fair test.

[​IMG]

6. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Why? There's no difference, so you might as well use the money to get a bigger TV [​IMG]. Or more DVDs or DVD rentals.