What's new

High-Dep COMPROMISED?? (1 Viewer)

tim_r_s

Auditioning
Has anyone run across this problem:

I have a widescreen HDTV connected to an HDTV receiver digital cable box using the DVI/HDCP connection. Everything has worked flawless for several months. Last week, I turn on the TV and nothing but black. When I changed the TV/Video to other settings (like DVD player, Xbox, etc) the picture was fine - I was just not able to get a digital signal.

After calling my cable company and verifying that my digital receiver and the TV cable was ok, I found that if I removed then reconnected the DVI cable, the picture would return and show the following message on screen for a few seconds:

"The HDCP of your display has been compromised. Please use YpbPr outputs for your HD connection."

So now, everything I turn off the TV, then turn it back on, I have to go through the process of removing and reconnecting the DVI connection to get the picture.

Any thoughts??

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I've seen others with that symptom with DVI connection and some cable HD boxes. What model HD box is it? It might be updated firmware (they download updated code during the night) or a bad box - have the cabley company try swapping for another box.

Kevin Golding

Stunt Coordinator
My guess is it's a Motorola box (5100/6200/6208). The latest firmware 7.10 has a bug regarding HDCP handshake and the DVI output. The temporary fix is to turn the TV on before the cable box, and turn the cable box off before the TV. The Moto box does not have discrete codes, so this will play havoc with any remote macros you may be using. It will, however, eliminate the error message you're getting.

tim_r_s

Auditioning
Wow! You hit the nail on the head. Yes I have a Motorola 5100 STB, and I tried turning it off and on in the order you suggest - it works. Do you think they (Comcast) will update my firmware and fix this apparent bug? Or do I just need to live with it? I have them delivering me a new STB tomorrow and hopefully that will fix it but it's probably a systemwide problem.

They have a new STB, maybe the 6208 you refer to, that has capability to record content on its hard drive. Think this STB would have the same problem?

You've been a huge help and I greatly appreciate it! By the way, how do you know all of this??

Kevin Golding

Stunt Coordinator

I read, read, read. Between here, AVSForum, and hometheaterspot you can get a wealth of HT information and up-to-the-second news.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks