1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

High Definition DVD: What is Holding You Back?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 17, 2006.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

That's one point that I hope doesn't get lost amongst the rest. If the studios ARE going to read this thread, hopefully they understand that a lot of us CAN afford to get into HD, we just don't want to waste the money on something we don't think is worth what we are paying for.

If you can't afford it, that's fine, but from a studios perspective, that isn't going to make them want to change anything. So hopefully when they see all of the "Price" points (as reasons why we don't want to get into HD), that it doesn't sound like a bunch of "We want it for free" comments or "I hate you because I can't afford you" comments.

2. Manuel

Manuel Stunt Coordinator

Not unlike many of the others:

1. My tv only has component (no dvi or hdmi for me)

2. I am not buying into 2 formats. I can wait until the writing is on the wall.

3. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Well, the thing holding me back right now is that we have 2 different competing formats which are HD-DVD & Blu-Ray.

I'm hearing that HD-DVD has the better picture quality than Blu-Ray but I'm not really going to purchase any of these formats until there is a winner.

With DVD, it was a no-brainer because it was the only format avaliable.

4. Bradley_Z

Bradley_Z Agent

Bradley
    I want to wait to see which format wins out. I don't want to own the new betamax.

I don't understand how the copy protection system works, and I don't want to spend $1,000 on a player and then get copy protection errors whenever I try to back up my stuff. I recently bought a DVD recorder and I got copy protection errors whenever I tried to backup anything. I'd really like to use the new DVDs to backup data on my computer, but again I don't know if it will let me.

I'm sure prices will eventually decline sharply, and I don't have any urgent need for the new format.

5. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    For me, plain and simply: the format war. I just WILL NOT jump in until I can see a clear winner.

To a lesser degree, I don't really NEED a high def player.

The leap between dvd and vhs was huge. Tapes wore out, they didn't sound or look anywhere near as good a the new dvd format, it was pretty much a no brainer to step up to dvd and pull away from the mediocre tapes.

Now, the leap...or babystep I should say, between a great looking dvd and the newer formatS, is not very profound. Yes, it's better but...not THAT much better. My opinion, of course.

I was an early adopter of dvd (5 months after US launch), I will NOT be gettnig involved in this mess as of now. No compelling reason to...

6. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Main thing holding me back is money -

1. Being handicapped has made it impossible to find another job.
    2. The studios are being rather greedy with all of the double dipping. I am TIRED of seeing a movie I just bought come out AGAIN, "new and improved." I am of the opinion that they should put out the "Extra super special ultimate enhanced unrated director's cut (add whatever other hooks they put on these things)" the first time.
    3. Constantly changing formats. I remember being excited about home video (VHS) becoming affordable after the release of Top Gun. Instead of paying $60 + for a videotape, I could get one for $20. Then, out came DVD, and I wanted to update my video collection. Now, newer formats are coming out and suffering the initial growing pangs of being VERY expensive for the first few years, much like VHS. I am VERY suspicious about new formats, because by the time the prices come down to a more "reasonable" amount, all of a sudden, a NEW format comes bursting onto the scene. How many times can I reasonably be expected to buy the same movie, AGAIN, on a new, improved format?

Something else holding me back is technical knowhow - I know a LOT of experienced HTFers probably smack their heads thinking, "Can this chick REALLY be this IGNORANT?" when they read my posts. But it's true. I could not tell you the first thing about High Definition, anamorphic, OAR, sound channels or anything else most true home theater enthusiasts know better than their own names. I just get all excited about a movie I have not seen in years FINALLY coming out on DVD, that I can watch any time I want.

7. Oliver D

Oliver D Extra

I'll preface this with the obvious: Had there not been a format war, I'd have a next-gen player already.

Hardware

Price is a factor but not a limitation for the hardware. A $500 HD-DVD seems expensive to me, but it's not outrageous. The higher-end model and the Blu-Ray players, however, are a bit too expensive, knowing prices will be dropping rapidly in the next 18 months.

Not getting the full experience... HDMI 1.3, for example. I'm waiting for this to be resolved so that I can then upgrade my display and my receiver. I know hardware will always improve in value, but HDMI 1.3 is a basic requirement for me, even if I won't immediately take advantage of it. I also want to get a display that does "real" 1080P and those options have been limited for the most part. Both of these will improve over the next 18 months.

Software

There's not one title that I really want that is on either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray that justifies paying $25-$40 when I am paying, on average, about $10-$15 for non-niche titles, especially if they have less extra features.

From what I have read in various sources, some of the transfers are less than ideal, and that's certainly a deal-killer for those specific titles.

I think sometime in the next 6-18 months I'll be picking up one of these players, regardless of whether a "winner" has been announced. It makes it easier that I currently have HDTV programming so I can satiate myself and know that waiting a bit more time won't kill me.

8. PatW

PatW Screenwriter

Patricia
    Even though I'm excited about the HD format, it's the format war that is holding me back. I was the proud owner of Beta at one time.

The availability of titles that I want is also a drawback. I have over 500 titles in my collection and there is only a few that I would re-buy in HD.

Price isn't too much of a concern to me as long as there was just one format.
    That being said, I don't think I would be willing to pay for a player that cost over $1000. So right now I'll wait and see what happens, and enjoy the library that I do have.

9. Paul.Mc

Paul.Mc Agent

Very simple. I don't own a HDTV. I'll probably get kicked off the forums for it but there it is :>. I've owned DVD since second generation players, but just haven't had the money or need to buy a HDTV. It's very hard to justify $1500 for a new TV (on the premise if I'm going to get one, it better be good and last quite some time) when everything I own functions just fine.

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I responded earlier in this thread but the main thing delaying my decision now is bluray not having 50Mb disks and VC1. Until this happens bluray will not be performing anywhere near its potential. By the time that happens, a lot of other things will have panned out too.

11. Sylvia*ST

Sylvia*ST Stunt Coordinator

I have no interest in another format war. I kept my Betamaxes and Laserdisc players until they stopped working and couldn't be repaired.

Also, I bought two HDTV televisions (Vario or some such from Costco, and a top of the line Sony 42") and returned both because of totally unwatchable closed captioning. I am not hearing impaired, but I do watch everything with captions for a variety of reasons. All HDTV set manufacturers seem to have proportioned the captions to fit the width, not the height, of the screen image and they take up fully one-third of the screen. They are also pixilated, unattractive and weird.

I will stay with my conventional 20" Sony Wega TVs for the indefinite future. I have small rooms and no real need for larger screens.

12. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

1. I'm not thrilled with the limited selection of players and the lackluster reviews they've been getting.

2. I'm going to wait until I get a new TV with 1080p and HDMI 1.3, even though I understand both kinds of players will work with my RP Mitsubishi CRT.

3. The PS3 hasn't been released yet. [​IMG]

I know I'm in the minority, but the format war doesn't bother me. I've had seperate DVD-A & SACD players for years. I'll eventually get both if there isn't a worthy universal player by then.

13. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I'm staying out until HDMI 1.3 is settled. When I get into a new format, I want to take full advantage of the sound and video. This means a new player, a new receiver, and a new projector.

Likewise I'm put off by the format war. I expect a universal player will come out and that will be the end of that.

It will also take software that I really care about to get me to open my wallet. I have a collection of about 300 DVDs, including a lot of foreign stuff that I doubt will make it to a hidef format for at least 3-4 years if ever. There are only a few titles in my collection that I would re-buy, and since these are important films for studios they likely won't be released early on in the new formats.

14. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

Peter Rohlfs
    I'm not very happy with the attitude both formats have towards being able to degrade the picture over component connection. My Sony HD tv does not have DVI or HDMI and they are not making an adapter.

I know at this point none of the discs turn on the flag to downgrade, but it never should have been part of the formats to begin with. They want early adapters to buy their format while abandoning earlier adapters if HDTV.

It is also worth noting that for device with 5.1 outputs neither the HD-DVD or BluRay players on the market support DVD-Audio and /or SACD. At the current price points that should be included (along with MP3 and DIVX file support).

For Blu-Ray, I will be getting the capability when I get a PS3. And the PS3 depends on when Tekken comes out, or another title that excites me.

For HD-DVD I'm going to see what the add on drive for my X-Box 360 comes out as. The rumored $250 cost makes it a bit more expensive than a no brainer purchase. $100-$150 would be a better price point for an addon (especially since there is no HD-DVD game support). Also hope it will use or somehow share or use the same component and digital audio connectors.

Even with the TV's 2 component inputs, the receiver's doubling of 1 port I still needed a multi port component switch to support all my devices and leave room for the PS3. I is a shame the receivers on the market at the time I last purchased don't include component on ALL the inputs. When I last looked, they still don't.

The format war just makes things worse (as far as having a place to connect things). And that doesn't even begin to address where to put these units. I'm running out of room.

Peter

15. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I have gotten tired of waiting for Sony's Blu-ray player to be on store shelves. Ever time I turn around the player is being pushed back and so I am going to get a HD-DVD player until Sony gets its act together. I still want Blu-ray to be the winning format but enough is enough. In two months I will be enjoying HD-DVD on my HT and allready own 5 titles for that player. If Sony can get there act together and introduce VC-1 and or MPEG4 titles for Blu-ray. Then I will buy the Sony player and focus my $$$ on Blu-ray titles. The question is how much longer can Sony delay its players and delay VC-1 discs before it damages Blu-rays chances in the market place?

16. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator

After seeing hd-dvd on something bigger than 37"(the first time I saw it it hardly made a difference) versus what I saw last week with a 65" display, I can say that it's hard for me to hold back. The only problem, my town doesn't carry hd-dvd or blu-ray ANYWHERE within 2 hours. I think that's a good enough reason. Not to mention, I'm too cheap to buy new hd-dvd's anyways. I prefer my $5 used DVDs at the pawn shop.

17. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

Harminder

You can always order online [​IMG].

18. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Here's what would hold me back, (besides price):

proper 720p/768p support. The HDDVD player I've seen did a poor job of it. (Some say that this is because 480p is somehow involved.) Now, the usual solution proposed is to feed a 1080i signal into the 768p or 720p set. But I've tried this, and although the image seemed somewhat more detailed, moire effects ensued.

Yes, the TV I was using was uncalibrated. (It was, after all, Sears... go figure.)

(BTW, after seeing bluray, I'm less than enthusiastic about that...)

19. Humphrey

Humphrey Stunt Coordinator

Something NOBODY has mentioned that I've seen... NetFlix and Blockbuster are yet to carry either. And until Joe Sixpack sees them on the shelves there it won't even occur to them that a better format exists.

And, as for myself, I'm waiting for the PS3....

20. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Netflix carries the discs. You have to specify in your preferences if you want HD DVD or Blu-ray (or both) and what order you prefer if the movie is available in multiple formats.