1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

High Def Tv Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Displays' started by NickC, Oct 14, 2003.

1. NickC

NickC Second Unit

Looking into getting a High Def TV, around 50 inchs or smaller, I have a couple of questions..

1. Do all High Def Sets have 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i? I heard that a lot of sets don't include the 720p or that the 720p can be upconverted to be 1080i instead of a natural 1080i signal? just looking for clarification if any sets include all formats or just some..

2. I have seen the DVI interface brought up a few times, why is it important that a HDTV have this connection, I know some dont have, so what are the benefits of getting a tv that does have it?

and if you could suggest any HDTV, under $2500 and 54 inches which would it be?

thank you for your time

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

1. The TVs are all limited in what they can display. Most CRT based sets will do two scan rates, 480p & 1080i, sometimes 540p & 1080i. Fixed pixel sets (plasma, LCD, DLP, LCoS) do only a single res, most commonly 720p or 768p, and convert all other signals to fit their native pixel matrix. Outboard HDTV tuner STBs will convert 720p to 1080i if the TV itself doesn't. There is only a possible issue with Xbox & PC at 720p if the set itself won't do the conversion.

2. DVI w/ HDCP (or its backwards compatible successor, HDMI) is important for possible future compatibility issues. In the future, it may be the only way to get full HD resolution from some types of content, like pay-per-view, possibly premium movie channels, HD-DVD. All of this is up in the air but having the connector is an insurance policy against having to upgrade to get certain content. Pretty much all current models have it. Older models from last year may not, depending on the manufacturer. DVI also offers potentially better video quality, particularly on the digital fixed pixel sets.

3. NickC

NickC Second Unit

Well i would be looking at a rear projection widescreen TV, what resolutions do they ussually have?

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

The info was in my first reply ... if it's CRT based, 1080i & (480p or 540p), if fixed pixel, 720p/768p.

5. Kevin Brennan

Kevin Brennan Auditioning

Regarding question number one.....what are the preferred resolutions?...are there advantages/disadvantages with one over another.