1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

High Def. Satellite

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonRW, Jan 18, 2003.

1. JasonRW

JasonRW Auditioning

I am ready to take the plunge into HD. I have a Mits. ws65819 tv & now am going to get teh HD sat. My question is: which do I go with? I don't care wether it's Dish net or Dirrectv. I would just like som opinions as to pros and cons of the sat recievers. I'm currently leaning towards the Hughes E86. Which is the best and most user friendly for the money?? Thanks in advance!! J

2. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

I'd wait a while; there are a number of new HDTV services starting up this year, and nobody knows which ones Dish or DirecTV will carry and at what cost.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jason. Welcome to HTF!

Try to run out and get the Feb 2003 issue of "Stereophile Guide to Home Theater". In the "Utopia Theater" editorial, the author says his neighbor asked him nearly the same question. Direct VS Dish.

The answer is unclear.

Some points that came out:

- DirectTV may be bought by an enemy of HDTV
    - HDNet is exclusive to DirectTV right now
    - DiscoveryHD is exclusive to Dish right now
    - ESPN HD will start later this year, but nobody knows which service will carry it

There are also other articles about recording HD signals, mis-information from Radio Shack about how much HD programming exists, reviews of some Samsung HD decoder box's, etc. While it may not give you total answers, it may explain why the answer is not simple.

Good Luck.

4. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

Jason,

You have waited this long, so you might want to wait just a little longer. On March 31, ESPN HDTV launches, and we should find out by then which provider(s) elects to carry that channel. Dish Network also said last week that it was in negotiations to carry Hdnet channels, so we should also see by then whether anything comes of these talks.

Moreover, some new DirecTV HDTV receivers are slated for a February/March/April release, so you will have some more options from which to choose; the price on some existing receivers may fall as well. The Dish Network 921 receiver with HDTV PVR (40hrs HDTV recording) is also said to be coming in May/June, so by late March, we should also have a better idea whether or not they are going to make that date.

5. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Jason, Believe me, I feel your pain. I have had an HDTV for almost 3 years and still have not jumped on the hdtv bandwagon from Directv. I have Directv for my satellite provider but have not purchased a decoder yet. I have been waiting for better equipment and lower prices. But I am very happy with my set due to watching anamorphic dvds on it. I hope soon to purchase one of the new hdtv decoders.