High def question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lou Miller, May 16, 2001.

1. Lou Miller

Lou Miller Auditioning

I have a 40H80.I just recieved a high def cable box from Time Warner. The signal through the box is poorly converged into the HD1 input. When I go to service mode the convergence screen displays whatever picture setting the set was last in. I also am unable to change the convergence grid using the remote control picture button. In other words the convergence screen will not say HD or 1080i only full,tw1,tw2 etc. My question is should I just do the convergence according to the 1080i grid measurements even though the grid is labeled differently. I personally think I should because no matter what screen size I set other inputs to before switching to HD1 the picture does not look stretched when viewing High def material. I welcome all opinions.
    Thanks,
    Lou

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

In oder to converge for hd you have to have a 1080i input from your set top box inputing at the same time...
    ------------------

3. Lou Miller

Lou Miller Auditioning

Thanks Mike but I allready knew that. My box does output a 1080i signal and my set locks into only one picture mode. But the convergence screen is allways labeled with the last known picture mode before getting the 1080i signal.
    Lou

4. Randy Boecker

Lou,
    I think this is just a labelling issue. When you converge 480p with a progressive input, the screen still reads "Standard". The set automatically locks into the 1080i grid whenever you have a 1080i signal coming into it. Have you tried changing the picture size with 1080i coming into the set? Can't do it. It should be obvious which grid is on the screen from looking at the various grids in the service manual or at the Keohi site. I don't believe there is a label that says "1080i". I think you're right, it will always display whatever mode the set was in before you fed it the 1080i signal. In my case, I always set my pic size to Full before going into the service convergence grid, so it always says "Full" on the grid.
    The short answer to your question is yes. As long as you've got a 1080i signal coming into the set, no matter what the label says, you're looking at the 1080i grid. To test it, feed in your 1080i signal and try to change the pic size before you go into the service menu. If you can't change it, you know you're locked into 1080i.
    Good luck! I just had to reconverge my 1080i as well since I upgraded to 1080i. Well worth the effort!