High Def Over-the-Air Receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Jorgensen, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Jeff Jorgensen

Jeff Jorgensen Auditioning

I just got a HDTV and have a bit of money left over so I am thinking about getting either a nice progressive scan DVD player or a High Def set top box for pulling in over the air broadcasts.

Problem is that aside from DirecTVs satellite system, I'm having a hard time finding a HD receiver. Any suggestions?

Should I hold off and go for the DVD player? I watch TV about 65% of the time and Movies about 35%.

Thanks in advance.

2. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

It depends on what you watch on TV and what your locals carry in hi-def. For example, if you're a big fan of soaps, CBS has them in hi-def during the day. For me, there just isn't enough content yet to justify a HD receiver--although I would not hesitate if I could find a good deal on one. I believe the consensus is that for over the air HD, the Samsung SIR-T150 is the best at pulling in even the weakest of signals. You can pick one up for a bit over $400 on eBay. There is also a report that a new company called WOW Digital will be debuting an over the air HD receiver this fall that will hit the $200 price point. I'm waiting to see if that materializes before I make a purchase as the TV season is almost over. So my advice is to go and get yourself a good progressive scan DVD player, which can be had these days for around $200. Good luck and have fun with your new toys!

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

I have the Samsung SIR-T150 (my 3rd hi-def STB) & it's great for OTA broadcasts. It picks up weak channels well & it has a simple, intuitive interface & design.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Samsung is the only HDTV receiver currently on the market that is OTA-only (i.e. does not include DirecTV or DISH support). However, you can use a HD box with DirecTV support as an OTA-only solution. If you plan to add satellite service at a later date, this may be a better option.

That being said, I also own the Samsung SIR-T150. I only needed OTA support, and the Samsung was priced right when I purchased it last summer. One other nice feature of the Samsung not mentioned above is that you can perform your own firmware updates if necessary, using a PC and a special cable. I did this once to fix a problem with audio dropouts, and the procedure was fairly simple.

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I have the Samsung since November and am very happy with it. I suspect that the current OTA model will be discontinued in the very near future. Sound and Vision indicates (page 79 of the current issue) that the SIR-TS160 Direct TV/HD Receiver ($699 list) is due this summer.

6. Tom Trz

Tom Trz Agent

Phil, the new sir-ts160 is a direct tv hd and OTA hd receiver with dvi output...this is what I'm going to get...

7. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Thanks, Tom. Hopefully they will leave the rest of the outputs alone. The Samsung is very flexible that way. I use it in my main system (digital and HD via component) and sound via coax digital out and in the bedroom system (digital via 'S' and sound via converting the optical digital out to coax and putting it into the bedroom receiver) and eventually when I get to the basement I will be able to watch digital via the composite out along with the analog audio out.