High Def from Time Warner Cable? Would you switch fromSatellite?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Captain Spaulding, May 9, 2002.

1. Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding Second Unit

Jay
    Anyone got high definition service from Time Warner cable? Which HD channels are available? How's the picture quality? I can be put on a waiting list for a High Def box, but am still thinking it over. It seems this would be a much less expensive way to get more high def programming than upgrading my satellite dish and buying an expensive HD satellite receiver. Comments? Thanks!

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I have Time Warner in Kansas City. They offer HBO, HBOWest, SHO, SHOWest, and a Public Television Loop. I'm still getting the hand of High Def, but I can say that the Public loop is breathtaking. Truth be told, until I get some nice calibration of my second HD input, the Show and HBO channels look about the same as DVD.

They also offer 5.1 on those channels.

If your satellite provider can offer more channels, it might be worth it. I don't think it's really valuable until Cinemax and Starz offer a HD channel, because there are a lot of recent films on those channels that I would rather see than what is on Showtime.

3. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I also have Time Warner in KC. I am not a big fan of TWC and have had many problems with them.
    To answer your question, however, the HD channels can look very good. As Alex mentioned the PBS feed can look absolutely stunning, there is a travel show in HD and some aerial footage of various locations that is almost like looking through a window.
    I have 2 HBO HD channels, and the quality depends on the movie being shown (all cropped to 1.78:1) Sometimes it is absolutely stunning, sometimes no better than 480p DVD. I think that this is because not all of the movies are in native HD but are up-converted. The 2 HBO channels have the same programming as the 2 main HBO channels BTW, so I assume that not all of the content is available in HD, hence the differences.
    For me HBO HD is worth it for The Sopranos alone [​IMG]
    Sometimes the movies on HBO suffer from pixilation and audio & visual drop-outs. I put this down to TWC over-compressing the signal, just as they do to almost all of their digital content.

4. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Alex,
    I don't know where in OP you are, but some areas already have the Everest (owned by KCP&L) cable/phone/internet service.. up to 3.0 mbs net access, digi-cable and phone service over fiber optic cable [​IMG]
    A colleague of mine has it and it is spectacular! [​IMG] They are laying fiber up here in Shawnee right now, and I plan on dumping TWC and going with them when it becomes available.

5. Leo Hinze

Leo Hinze Stunt Coordinator

I like my Time Warner HDTV. From what I can see, the picture quality is as good as the network feed allows. HBO looks very good. I am in Houston, and I get PBS, FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS. I also have HBO, so I get HBO HD East and West. Showtime HD East and West are also available. I also get the DD 5.1 audio (if the show is broadcast w/ it).

The HiDef box costs an extra $5.00 per month.

Hoepfully someone from your area with the service can tell you what channels are available to you, otherwise call Time Warner.

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Charles,

We were just talking about that earlier today. It sounds like the perfect marriage of services, and I don't think it can help but beat TW.

Keeping to topic, do you know if they will be offering high def channels?

7. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

I also have TWC HD in Kansas City. Now that WDAF, KMBC, and KSMO are broadcasting in HD or at least SD here in town, is there any word when Time Warner will start carrying them?

For you Houston users, how long was it for you after CBS, NBC, et. al started broadcasting that TWC added those channels to the HD lineup?

Matt

8. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Alex,
    They don't have it yet, but from what I have heard they will in the future. It's not like they don't have the bandwidth for it [​IMG]