High def from satelite

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stefan A, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I am just beginning to research what I need to get started receiving stations like HBO or Showtime in HD. Right now, I have the Toahiba 50h81. I do not have a set top box. I was under the impression that if I bought the new 6000 sat receiver, that I would only need that to get HD. Then, I read that you also had to have the set top box. Do you really need both? Paying $600 for the 6000 receiver and then 6 or 700 dollars for the set top box seems a bit extreme. Then of course the monthly fee.
    Stefan Antwarg

2. Curt Jett

Curt Jett Agent

The E* 6000 is the STB. So that is the only receiver you need for SD and HD. It does require two sat dishes though, one aimed at the 110/119 birds and the other pointed at the 61.5 for HD programing.
    ------------------

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Actually, if you live in an area where you can receive OTA (Over The Air) HDTV signals, you can purchase the 6000 and the OTA "module" and then use a UHF antenna to receive HD. No satellites and no monthly fee, either.
    And the $600 price you quoted is what it will cost you for the 6000 and the OTA module combined from places like www.dishdepot.com
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

4. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

At this time you don't need to subscribe to Dish network but do need a satellite dish pointed at one of the birds for the OTA module to work and pick up ota channels...
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mike I on August 20, 2001 at 07:27 AM]

5. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

This is a copy directly from the Dishnetwork website of a description of the showtime hd channel -

6. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The 5000 with the HD module is no longer available..this is an old statement that should be updated...
    The 6000 is a combination HD decoder and sat receiver...There is a separate 8vsb ota module that plugs into the back of the 6000 for OTA DTV or OTA HD if available in your area...By the way ER is not HD..CBS is the the premier network when it comes to HD programming..nbc only carries leno at this time...
    ABC has about 4 to 6 movies a month and NYPD in HD they are adding 3 or 4 new drama series this fall in HD...
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mike I on August 20, 2001 at 07:59 AM]

7. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Mike,
    I could swear that I saw a HDTV logo once when I was watching ER. Anyway, can you see how that statement is misleading? It makes it sound like you need the 6000 box AND a seperate HD box.
    How can I find out if OTA HD can be received in my area?
    Stefan Antwarg

8. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

9. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Stefan
    You can go www.titantv.com punch in your address and it will give you the status of local DTV channels in your area or when they will be broadcasting...If you anywhere close to the Baltimore area, I know they is quite a few Digital channels on the air..
    Robert..
    This is a software thing dish incorporated into the OTA module when it was released in December where the module gets some type of signal from the sat in order to function...They have said they may change this in a future software update, but I don't think that will happen soon as even though you don't need a subcription to dish,I think they just don't want to sell there 6000 and ota module for ota only...
    It really makes no difference to me as I have the entire setup with dish network..The only down side is, if you have rainfade from a storm it effect the OTA channels as well as the Satellite channels...
    ------------------

10. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Mike - That doesn't sound right to me. (Sounds almost like a scam). If I buy an OTA antenna, a STB and a DTV and hook them all up, I should be able to get the HDTV channels.
    If you're getting a rain fade problem then this sounds like you're receiving the signal from the sat - and besides, who would want to fork out the money for a 6000 model for just the OTA stuff?
    Glenn

11. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Glenn,
    I believe what Mike is telling us is that the software driving the Dish 6000 requires some sort of enabling signal from the satellite in order for the OTA module to function, even though the actual broadcast HDTV signal is being captured by the external antenna over the air. During rain fade, the enabling signal can't get through and, therefore, the OTA module can't process the OTA signal through the 6000.
    I agree. This is a poor implementation and it would definitely eliminate the 6000 as an Set Top Box non-dish HDTV solution. However, for those of us with a dish network already up and running (mine should be operational later this week) the OTA module allows us to add these additional non-dish channels to the mix.
    The 6000, right now with the current software implementation, is not an HDTV option for those who do not want to install a dish, so it seems.
    Interesting.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

12. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Thanks for all the info that you have given me today. Through reading this, going to stores, and other websites, my final decision is - No Satellite or HDTV for me [​IMG]
    It's just to darn expensive. Right now I am getting analog cable with all the stations except the movie channels for less than $10 bucks a month. Maybe in the next few years when HDTV becomes more standard I will go for it.
    Stefan Antwarg

13. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Glenn.
    Even though the OTA module requires a signal from the satallite to function, dish does not require any subcription so I really would not say it is a scam..It is just the way their STB and OTA software is currently designed....The Local digital channel's signal is still coming direct from the local broadcast channel....With any HD stb, if you would want future software upgrades you would need a dish pointed at a satallite anyway....
    The Dish 6000 and it's 8vsb module is still one of the most versatile HD stb's currently on the market...
    ------------------

14. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

No, I really didn't mean a scam, but if someone did that just for the OTA it would be strange. Doesn't the 6K box cost about the same as the other OTA STB's? If you did just want the OTA's, then a normal STB wouldn't suffer from rain fade. Oh, you know what I mean. I do see the point of attaching a UHF antenna to the dish for better OTA UHF reception, though.
    Glenn

15. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Glenn .
    If you are a first time dish customer and sign up for a one years programming agreement you can get the 6000 for about 299 plus 99 for the ota module...Without a programming agreement it is about 499 plus the module...With any set top box you would need some type of antenna for OTA digital reception...I get my main channels from from dish network anyway so having an antenna for my digital OTA channels as well as two dish's for dishnetwork is really not a problem for me..Dish does have 4 HD channels....
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mike I on August 21, 2001 at 11:05 AM]

16. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

17. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Samsung is currently the only company with an OTA only HD STB...Cost the same as those that are a sat receiver/HD decoder combination...
    ------------------

18. Damian

Damian Agent

It's all very confusing. I'm thinking about dumping Dish Networks and going back to cable once my 1 year committment is up. I do want to move to HD since we have a High Definition television though. Can I have both the High Definition from Dish AND go back to cable for locals and what-nots?
    ------------------
    -Damian

19. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

Yes.
    To get HBO-HD or SHO-HD you only need to subscribe to the appropriate package. I think there is a $5/month fee if you do not pick a major programming package.
    CBS-HD should be available to you (as long are you are out of other CBS stations grade B contour - like Sacramento) for $1.5 I think.
    All you would need is a 6000 and a dish pointing at the 148 satellite.
    ------
    I think dish requires a signal lock so they are not in the generic OTA HDTV box selling business - they want to only sell you hardware so you buy their programming. Also when they download firmware updates they do not have to hassle with people that want to mail in thier box for the software (becuase if you can't get the download, you can use the box anyways).
    People have reported rain fade knocking out their OTA signals due to signal lock loss. They should put a 1 hr or 4 hour timer on the lock loss before the OTA cuts out.