High Def and DVD recorders

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Donald_S, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Donald_S

Donald_S Stunt Coordinator

I HATE to ask questions that have been asked a million times before, but I've spent an hour going through past posts and the faqs and don't see answers to my questions. If there is an existing thread just point me, I'm glad to track it down. My questions:

1. Will a DVD recording of a High Def broadcast with a digital receiver and component outputs create the equivalent of a progressive scan quality DVD?

2. Same question, with a DVR box (Tivo, etc.) copying the material to a DVD recorder.

3. Do you have to pay a subscription fee for a DVD/DVR combo unit (obviously non-Tivo) so it knows what's on?

4. If I burn a broadcast program on DVD with a digital receiver and walk it over to my 50" Sony WEGA is it going to be as unwatchable as I fear?

5. How bad will the sound be for recording of digital regular broadcast or HD broadcast recorded on a DVD? Will it do any justice to my 5.1 system?

Thanks a bunch for putting up with my dumb questions. I *really* appreciate any and all help.

Take care,

Donald

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Most DVD recorders are limited to 2.0 and use analog inputs. I don't know how your 5.1 system handles 2.0 sound, but if you have DPL2, it should sound just fine.

M.

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Donald, Michael was right on all counts. I record the standard broadcast channels on my Gateway DVDR and can tell you that the sound is gonna be at the very best in analog 2 channel (stereo). If I play a burned DVD on my Samsung DVD HD841, which is hooked up via DVI to my TV and digital coax to my A/V receiver, I have to either connect the analog audio to my receiver or activate my 6 channel analog setting on the receiver to hear any sound. As for watchability on a large screen, unless I record in the ultra compressed 6 hr mode, the picture quality is really pretty good. 4 hr mode recordings are so-so in quality, but still very watchable. I can't hardly tell the difference between 1 hr and 2hr modes which provide the best video quality. They are noticably better in video quality than my old JVC S-VHS VCR could produce though. One interesting thing is that when I watch the standard analog TV channels through my Gateway recorder, the PQ is superior than when I watch them just through my cable box. I suppose it has to do with the fact that my DVDR is connected to my TV through the component jacks and my cable box is connected to my TV via S-Video for standard TV. However, I do have my cable box hooked via component to my TV for HD channel viewing. I sure am glad that I got a TV with 2 component, 2 S-Video and 1 DVI connection.[​IMG]

4. Donald_S

Donald_S Stunt Coordinator

Michael and Chuck, thanks SO MUCH for replying. I really appreciate it.

So with a DVD recorder, we're talking about VHS stereo sound basically. Is the quality of the picture also going to be about good VHS quality? Or something better?

Thanks again.

Donald

5. Michael Reuben

M.

6. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

Checkout the thread at AVS http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=398318

Net net is that you can create an anamorphic (enhanced for widescreen) DVD with pretty close to store bought pciture quality via S-Video output. Sound is only analog Dolby, however, unless you buy one of the newer DD 5.1 recorders.

jdg

7. Michael Reuben

However, as noted in the thread, this depends on the capabilities of your set-top box. It's not something the DVD recorder can finesse.

M.

8. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

Yes: this assumes an HD broadcast downrezzed to 480i anamorphic output via S-Video using an HD set-top box. If the broadcast is not HDTV to begin with, then the discussion does not apply.

jdg