High Contrast Protective Screen, does it protect from burn in?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ottis Fletcher, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

I just got a new HDTV Sony KP46WT500, it has a High Contrast Protective Screen, what exactly does it do?

2. Anthony.Lin

Anthony.Lin Stunt Coordinator

If i'm not mistaken, the protective screen you speak of is actually not desireable for picture quality (discussed here - check out number 5. Since it's on the outside of the TV (sort of), it does not help with preventing burn-in.

Burn-in is actually the phosphor burn on each CRT tube - to avoid this turn down contrast to a very low level (preferably calibrated with an Avia DVD) from the high level that manufacturers ship their TV's out with.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It only protects from children or adults throwing blunt objects at the screen at low velocities.[​IMG]

Regards

4. Ottis Fletcher

OK, thanks. I know about turning the contrast and brightness down, I read the "burn in" thread a few times. I couldn't find an AVIA or VE disc anywhere, Best Buy had some disc I never heard of for $50. Im just going to order AVIA on-line soon.

5. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

You can also get the Sound & Vision Tuneup disc for around $15-20. It's not as thorough as Avia but it's from the same company, Ovation, and will get the job done. You'll want that protective screen in place, though, since you'll probably want to throw heavy objects at the "video hosts."

Jan

6. Christopher~O

Christopher~O Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ottis. You will want to do the restack on this model (shuffle the protective screen behind the viewing screen) to avoid a gap. Michael did this exact process for this exact TV for me and the difference was amazing.

Cheers,
    Chris

7. Carlos Picart

Otis I have that TV as well. I notice the screen is very reflective in daylight viewing situations. At night or with the lights out is when the screen is not noticeable really at all, which is when I usally view the TV.

A question or two.. what settings to you use the TV at?

I personally use about 33% of the picture and brightness settings, I counted the bars once, I definately used less than half and slightly more than a 25%. I set the color setting just a tad higher than those. I seem to use the movie setting and progressive most of the time on the other settings.

8. Ottis Fletcher

I really havent had time to mess around with it to much I just go it today and had to go to work when I did the basic setting up, flash focus, learned some features that were not on VVega. I allready know from my VVega Im going to use the standard (maybe pro) with this one with color temp on warm since thats the NTSC standard. My HT is in the basement and fourtantly there is no sunlight that makes its way in. I have a lamp slightly behind and off to the side with a 40 watt bulb so reflection is not an issue. Anyway how long have you had your set, and any tricks you learned about it?

9. Christopher~O

Christopher~O Stunt Coordinator

Tricks? Again the screen restack is a big one.

Also, settint the convergence in the service menu and set it every couple of months. I have the instructions for this model, email if you would like them.

Cheers,
    Chris

10. Ottis Fletcher

Thanks for the screen tip. I have some experience taking RPTVs apart, my friend has a SDTV and we took the screen off to clean the inside of television, and the picture improvement was amazing. Since his TV was about 8 years old the dust build up on the bulbs was terrible. I have model #kp46wt500 and I cant see anyway to really get the protective screen off. Is it hard to do?

11. Carlos Picart

I don't see how it can be taken off either. Unless I take the unit apart.. which I would be hesitant to do. I could certainly use some instruction how how to manually converge the picture. So I will be emailimg you Chris.

Otis, I've had my unit about 10 days, so i too, am looking for some tips/advice on how to make the picture better.

12. Ottis Fletcher

Chris or Carlos, what zoom setting do you use to watch anamorphic DVDs? Ive been using full is that the best one?

13. Carlos Picart

I use Full when watching the DVD's that fill up the screen entirely. Otherwise I use Wide Zoom for the 2.35:1 movies, at least most of the time.

I find that I enjoy the movies more at that setting, of course for certain movies I keep it at Full to keep the theatrical aspect ratio. Movies such as Gladiator or Lord of the Rings. Other movies where the aspect ratio isn't a concern as far as the integrity of the film, I just use Wide Zoom.

I use Wide Zoom for TV watching as well.

14. Ottis Fletcher

So full keeps the OAR of the film? I all so use wide zoom for television viewing, its great on shows like ER and a lot of programs on Discovery channel and its subsidiaries that have the 1.78:1 letter boxing on the screen. One more thing, what should I use to clean the screen, any special products or just a dry/damp cloth?

15. Carlos Picart

As far as I can tell, Full keeps the original aspect ratio. Remember I have my DVD player set to widescreen, I don't know if that makes a difference, but when I watch 1.78 material, it fits perfectly on the screen. If it's 2.35 material it has black bars. But if you are watching 4:3 Material, full will obviously stretch it. In which Wide Zoom would be more appropiate.

16. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Full should be used for all 16x9/anamorphic material regardless of aspect ratio (as long as you're interested in watching OAR).

Zoom should be used for 4x3 lbxed (non amaorphic) material that's 1.78:1 or wider. 1.66:1 4x3 lbxed movies can be watched this way too but you'll notice some cropping (I watch them like this and just deal with it...too bad TVs don't have a zoom just for 1.66:1).

Naturally, 4x3 should be 4x3 mode.

17. Ottis Fletcher

Thats what I thought looked best, but it being my first 16X9 set I wanted to make sure. Thanks.

18. Gilbert ^P

Gilbert ^P Stunt Coordinator

For those that have the Sony KP46WT500, i fyou know how, can you go into the service mode and check your HSIZ and VSIZ default values so i can compare it to mine? i think it's under the 2150-d 1 and 2. thanks in advance.