HiFi USB and LINE IN connections

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by bobjackson85, Sep 10, 2006.

1. bobjackson85

bobjackson85 Auditioning

hi

what does it mean when a HiFi has a usb connection? can i use this just like i used to have my computer connected using the AUX input.

if i used the USB connection would i still be able to hear everything on my computer such as games, videosites, videos on youtube etc?

or would it be possible to use the LINE IN connection just like i used to use the AUX connection?

the reason im asking is that a home theatre im thinking of buying has a USB connection and LINE in, but no AUX. i used to connect my computer using the phono splitter lead going into the aux on my old HiFi.

heres the home theatre.

http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=...E&catid=100097

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

bob

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Bob - I suspect the USB port means you can put mp3's onto a USB memory stick, and the micro system will have the ability to play the songs from the memory stick.. [​IMG]

3. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

I love it.... 20 years in the audio business.. this is a new one on me too!!... USB Audio... I know they make USB Audio adaptor for computers... Time to do some research

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

It allows you to use the JVC as a sound output device. You don't even need a sound card.
    Instruction Manual

5. Dutchie

Dutchie Auditioning

I have got a Pioneer receiver with USB port (VSX-916-S). I can indeed use a USB stick with MP3, WMA, etc.. but I can also connect my Ipod to it and play all the songs on it! Really nice feature during a party. No more disc changing!!

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

don't get his hopes up. The usb functionality is as described in the user manual. It may or may not support the ipod.

7. Dutchie

Dutchie Auditioning

You are right, it seems that this USB functionality is completely different from the one I have. So I'm sorry if I got a bit too enthusiastic about it for you Bob.

8. bobjackson85

bobjackson85 Auditioning

its no problem, i decided to get the same make but different model (40 watts less) but with an AUX input so i can still be safe in the knowledge i can connect my computer to it

9. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Yep... if it works.. don't fix it!

10. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

AUX and Line In are largely the same thing. I suppose that some manufacturers might think that AUX implies RCA, while Line in implies a minijack, but it doesn't amount to much of a difference when connecting portable audio or computers.

USB Audio essentially allows the use of external sound cards.In a sense the JVC would have become Bob's soundcard. A low tech version of HDMI-Audio, perhaps.