Hiding SVS Subs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick_T, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Patrick_T

Patrick_T Agent

So, as those of us with a SO know...the home theater often times comes second to decor. Now, I am trying to come up with ways to hide an SVS sub I plan on getting next year. Would it be possible to put the sub behind a standing screen (the decorative type...not the projection television type)? It seems that as long as bass is non-directional that the sound should not be dramatically changed. Any input?

Thanks

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

That's a good idea. Also, fake or real trees, like a ficus(?) or a tall fern or something. You could try sewing a slipcover for it. A big elastic sock....

I hid mine between the couch and an end table with a lamp on it. I could see about 1/4 of it, and the wife couldn't have cared less. It's MY basement!

hahaahHAHAAHhahaha

Tom/Ron - Any plans for some variation in fabric color? Something neutral?

3. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

Hide??? I try and bring as much attention as possible to my beautiful SVS [​IMG]
    I understand where you're coming from though, if you have it in a den or livingroom then it probably stands out and looks out of place. Hiding it behind a plant seems like a good idea.

4. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

why dont you try to hang the hotdog on a stick horizontally so that nobody knows what they are looking?

thats why i dont think i want to buy that sub. it is too distracting for my medium sized room.

5. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I took the top grill off of my dual 20-39's and placed a large potted plant in each of the ports. Doesnt seem to affect the sound.

6. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought an SVS and placed it beside my couch in my relatively small (and odd shaped - long, skinny) living room. It does not seem too out of place there, blending in as unobtrusively as a meter-high black cylinder can. As was stated, only the upper half (at most) sticks up above the couch). But, I am a single father, and my kids don't mind [​IMG] My girlfriend wondered what it was, but never mentioned it "overpowering" the living room. Of course, the livingroom is already "overpowered" by the big TV and tower mains, so.........
    One thing to keep in mind is that the SVS design is a trade off. It is no larger (in fact it is smaller) in footprint than many "lesser" subs. When you get into the larger "box" subs, they take up a considerable footprint, but are, admittedly, shorter than the SVS design.
    SVS = Think outside the box.
    If you want something that sounds great and is REALLY unobtrusive, look into an infinite baffle design.
    http://klone-audio.virtualave.net/page101.html

7. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Jeff - PLEASE tell me you didn't!!
    Felix -
    The 25 - 31 is not that big at all, and will not call too much attention to itself. Like that ugly date we all had in high school - it's all good with the light's off!
    [​IMG]

8. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

Yes I am kidding, however my first post sounded so much funnier without the smiley face!

9. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

When my wife first saw the sub she called it a "biohazard waste recepticle"...

It's now sitting in the corner partially hidden by a silk tree. Also, I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade to floorstanding front speakers..sort of to even things out!

It does look better in person than pictures posted on the svs web site.

10. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

It kinda smells funny, too.
    The wife Febreezed it. I almost died.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Any chance of different color covers anytime soon for the svs subs????

R~

12. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

I hid my audio-rack in my next-door office to make room for my ultra....

13. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Mine are hidden behind my tower speakers, but It's not because I didn't want them in view, It was the only available spot for them. I think they should be show off.

Craig

14. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Follow the link in my sig to my webpage. Than show it to your SO. The SVS won't seem so bad afterwards :p)
    If the pictures don't completely convey its' size, inlcuding the concrete slab it is just over 6' tall and is 19" in diameter. Oh, and if you haven't seen DIY subs before, it's small compared to what others have done. It's internal volume is just under 10 cubic feet, the biggest I've seen on the web used two of the drivers I used in a 24 cubic foot box [​IMG]

15. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

SVS are beautiful-enjoy and admire.

16. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

I've only had mine since yesterday, and it's already been dubbed "the hot water heater" and "the scratching post".

Serious question though: right now, the only only place it(16-46PC) really fits logically in my room is directly in a tighht corner. It is only about an inch or two away from the side wall and about a foot away from the back wall. Is this OK since it is top ported? Is there a minimum distance it should be from a wall?

Thanks,

Chris

17. Gordon B

Gordon B Agent

If your SO is into antiques, you might try buying an old pair of shutters at an atique store. Most are made up of at least two sections with hinges so they stand up and can be folded into a V shape to fit the width of the sub. Some have attractive carvings or cutouts on them. The other advantage is that they can usually be trimmed vertically to match the height you need for a screen.

18. Dave N.

Dave N. Stunt Coordinator

My HT is totally light controlled. The subs are in the back of the room,in the dark. Problem solved[​IMG].
    Dave

19. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Has anybody experimented with laying an SVS subwoofer down on it's side behind the couch ?

BruceD

20. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

I have the perfect solution for you. I'll email you my address, you send the SVS to me, and I'll hide it for you.

As for laying one down on its side, do a search because I'm pretty sure that question has been asked before. I seem to recall that Ron said it would be no problem, but don't take my word for it -- find his post instead.