1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Hiding speaker wire tricks?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brad_c_g, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Debbie K

Debbie K Extra

I ran a search for "rug" and found this thread... If you don't mind, I do have a question...

My dilemma is I am getting a place with hardwood floors which I will put an area rug in and someone told me I cannot run speaker wire under the rug as it will get crushed... from the sounds of this discussion, I can?

Am I missing something? If I run the cables directly across the living room rug from front speakers straight back to under couch is this a problem? No dogs or kids here which would be running over them, just 2 adults which would of course occasionally walk on them.

Thanks! Debbie

2. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

Wayne.. Thanks. I will try my hardest to run in wall, but if that fails.. I printed your instruction email out just in case.

One other question.. when builders run coax to the different rooms, do they drill holes in the studs larger than the diameter of the cable? I hope they do, so that I can use a snake to pull speaker wire through the same opening.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Debbie,

Don’t know who told you running speaker wire under a rug will crush it – pay no attention to any audio advice you may get from interior decorators. [​IMG]

The only way it would crush is if something heavy with a hard angle fell on it. Then, obviously, damage to the wire would pale in comparison to damage to the floor. [​IMG]

That said, since you won’t have the benefit of a carpet pad, you might want to use some flat speaker wire that has an extremely low profile. Regular speaker wire will probably leave a bulge in the rug, not to mention be readily felt underfoot when you walk across it. It should not be hard to find some flat wire at a home theater shop, if not Radio Shack, BB or Circuit City.

Juan, happy I could help.

Obviously the hole in the stud has to be bigger than the coax – how else would the coax pass through it? [​IMG]

The “million dollar question” is if the hole is big enough for you to add a second cable. All I can say there is check and see. I’ve seen holes varying in size from 1/2" to 3/4".

I have a link to an old post I made for dropping wires in-wall from an attic, if that will help.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

OK. Wayne.. big Duh for me there.. I'm glad you figured out what I meant.

That link would be much appreciated.

5. Debbie K

Debbie K Extra

Thanks Wayne!

Okay, I feel better now, I really thought I should be able to run it straight under the rug, but was not positive... I am not the expert here!! (thanks guys) [​IMG]

That is a great idea, I was wondering how visible the wire would be under the rug (right now we have sorta thick Monster cable). I will check around for flat speaker wire, I know I have seen it before, just want to get something comparable to what I have now.

debbie

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
  7. Chris_Millet

Chris_Millet Extra

Frank, what kind of tape did you use before you spackled over it?

8. Dave_WY

Dave_WY Auditioning

I see I'm a little late on this thread but I also had the problem of hiding my wires. I also have hardwood floors. You can see what I came up with on my site under "wire management" Hope that helps or gives you another idea!
    Dave

9. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter