What's new

hiding speaker cables (1 Viewer)

John*DB

Stunt Coordinator
what are common/popular ways to hide speaker cables as they are strung around the room?

- I can't go through the ceiling.

I am planning to go around the baseboard and tuck it in as much as possible BUT...

The BlueJeansCable Belden is SO big, I really have to push to get it under the base board.

will this HURT the cable?

Will the signal be lowered at all due to a tight fit under the baseboard?

That might be a stupid question but Im a newbie.

Thanks!

Bruce-E

Stunt Coordinator
You can push them under the baseboards,try not to damage the cable.Don't hammer any nails or stables into the cables.

The best way I saw was a friend took pvc pipe and covered it with left over carpet he had,then ran all the speaker cables thru the pipe.The pipe was glued to the baseboard where the carpet and baseboard meet.It was cheap to do and didn't look bad at all.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There may be some cosmetic damage to the outer jacketing, but there won’t be any to the internal wiring. This is a common problem - if running around baseboards is your only option, you probably should have used smaller-gauge wire.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John*DB

Stunt Coordinator
well...I had to go a LOOOOOOONG way around my room so I needed a decent size gauge. I'll make it work...will just take some "tweaking" :D

PeterK

Supporting Actor
When we put our baseboards down we kept them a few millimeters up. this way it was easier to get wires under them. I you put your baseboards on after you had the carpet put in then you should be able to cram any speaker wire or other semi small cables under them. I found using a butter knife or flat screwdriver works best.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Hi John,

I don't have the Bluejeans Belden that you have; I'm using the 12ga Soundking wire for my speaker. But here's my deal.

I also had to run the cable "the long way around the room" along the baseboards, past the patio door, UP the fireplace for my left surround, around the fireplace, behind the couch, under the front door and up the wall for my right surround.

Here's what I did.

Using zip ties, I bundled the two wires together (flat sides together to minimize bundle size) about every 8" or so. Then I used 2" pieces of double-sided foam tape every two feet or so to tack them to the baseboards since I couldn't get the bundle under the baseboards w/o lifting up the carpet.

Be careful when wedging the cable over the carpet/under the baseboards. The perimeter of the room is where the nail strips that hold the carpet down are. I"m sure your fingers have found them already! :eek: You can easily punture the outer jacket of the cable on a nail and if the nail goes thru two connectors, you've now got a shorted out speaker cable. Not a good thing, ever.

Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks