What's new

hiding my speaker wires (1 Viewer)

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
I am having a killer time trying to figure something out to hide my speaker wires. I am running 6 12 gauge speaker wires and 2 subwoofer cables from the back of my HT where my gear rack is going to be to the sides and to the front. I was origionally going to cut the bottom of the sheetrock and run the wire, then put a nice wood molding over it. I am thinking about going back to that idea. I was afraid of leaving the wire there. I was going to run the wire using some kind of wire track. I can't believe how expensive they are. I refuse to pay $250-$300 on peices of plastic that hide my wires. If anyone has any solution I would appreciate it very much.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Home depot has Plastic molding that you can use to run electrical outlets around a room. I cant remember what its called, but instead of running outlets im sure you could run speaker wire. It screws onto the wall, you could probably put it at the bottom instead of the molding.

Sorry its called Wire-Mold. Here.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...D=9876&pos=p02

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...D=9876&pos=p02

might get pricy depending on the length. Theres other sizes out styles out there too.

JamesFarina

Agent
Hi John,

Ryan's links take you to a general Home Depot site. I had the same problem when I tried to link something from HD. Go to the HD site and type in the search box "wiremold cordmate". I used this stuff on my ceiling to run component, power and speaker wires for 7 channel surround. The double sided tape is worthless so pick up a few screw and run them into the back side of the track. This will hide all of your wires in a smooth plastic channel (if you decide to purchase the covers.

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. That looks perfect!:D I think I will pick this stuff up. It is a very reasonable price as well. I might have to run 2 sets of mold. I don't know if it will fit 6 12 gauge speaker wires and 2 subwoofer cables. Thank you very much for the input. I will go to home depot right down the street from me.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Anything is better than a bunch of wires piled up along the bottom of the wall. Good luck man, Let us know how it turns out.:emoji_thumbsup:

P.S. Sorry about the links, I think they were too long to post, they were directly to the wiremold.

JamesFarina

Agent
Hi John,

I have 4 channels of 12g speaker wires, an orange extension cord, and a component video cable. Not much room to spare but they all fit. You can cut 2 inch sections of all of the wire you want to fit and take it with you.

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
James, thanks for the info. I think I might be able to get away with it. Worse comes to worse, I can run one of my subwoofer cables under the wall moldings. Ryan, thanks for taking the time to try and post that link. :)

Rick TX

Auditioning
The wire molding is probably the best way to go. But I thought I'd throw in another option. I have an a/v cabinet setup to the side of my rptv with about 3 foot of space in the middle.

I joined two pieces of wood to make an 'L'. I got a piece of baseboard from Home Depot that matched the baseboards in the room and attached it to the front. It rests along the existing baseboard and once painted, it's almost invisible. Plus, it gives you plenty of space to run wires btwn the tv and a/v cabinet, not to mention it's really easy and cheap to build.

Rick TX

Auditioning
I'm not able to post pics (HT won't let me post urls until you've posted 15 times) but just add the http to the front of these links and it should work.

before:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/sfshadow/before.jpg

after:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/sfshadow/after.jpg

construction:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/sfshadow/construction.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks