Hiding components and using remote

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by BrianTwig, Jun 14, 2006.

1. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

Hello all. I am pretty new to this home theater stuff. This site was wonderful in answering questions on equipment choices. Now I have an issue that needs resolving.

I have a Marantz SR 5600 receiver, Marantz CC4300 CD player and will be adding the Marantz DV4600 or other DVD player shortly when I get my new TV. Dish Network Satelitte receiver as well. Also have a VCR, but I could care less about that. Rarely used, and only for kids videos and some instructional tapes I have a hobby of mine (magician).

Here is my issue. With purchasing a new TV I need a new TV stand for it. I want a "bench" style stand and am having one hell of a time finding one that makes me happy, will hold all the components and is within budget ($500). My TV will either be a LCoS or a plasma (50" or bigger on both). Yes, I know, the plasma can go on the wall and no stand is needed. But I still need somewhere to put the components. And the stands that come with or can be used for the LCoS TVs are not deep enough for some of the components.

Also, with small children and their PB&J covered hands that must touch everything, I need a bench stand that has doors on it (glass, screening, etc... so remotes work). So the open style of a lot of TV stands doesn't work. So if you can guide me to a good source for these type stands it would be appreciated.

So here is my question. There is an under the stairs closet behind the wall the TV will be on (and current CRT is against). A quick and cheap solution for me is to put the receiver, CD, DVD player, and VCR in the closet and then hook up one of those "eye" thingys so I can control them with the remotes from the couch and not have to get up.

Does the SR 5600 and CC4300 (and coming DV4600) have the ability to be set up like this? And if so, what do I need to buy and where should I shop for it? And can my Dish Network satelitte receiver have the ability to go in the closet as well and be controlled through "the eye" or whatever it is?

Thanks!

2. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

Radio Shack had what they used to call a "rabbit" remote extender. It has a receiver that picks up the signal from any remote, then sends that by radio to another box that transmits the original remote signal to all your components. I think it was about $50. It'll work with anything.

You would put the receiver in your room, and the transmitter in your closet in front of the gear.

3. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    If you don't already have a universal remote, go buy one that supports IR and RF. Control the TV via IR, and the rest of the gear by RF. The Philips Pronto is popular as are a lot of models by Universal Remote. If you go with one by universal remote I recommend on of their PC programable models. I would also recommend the MRF-300 RF base over the MRF-250.

4. JohnnyKretentiv

JohnnyKretentiv Stunt Coordinator

I have the Terk extender it's just like the rabbit from the Shack and it works great!! Best $25 I have spent.

FWIW - I also am using a Harmony 880.

5. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on RF. I've decided to go all IR, and went to parts express to get what I needed. If you want to know exactly what I'm using, let me know and I'll post links to products. For remote I'm going to go with the Harmony 880. No offense to those that are using RF, but I've spoke to some installers and friends and have conflicting opinions about interference. I've heard nothing but good things about IR so that is what I'm using. Just my worthless opinion.

Don

6. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor