Hiding cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Donald_S, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Donald_S

Donald_S Stunt Coordinator

I've got a pair of exposed 12 gauge speaker wire cables running along one wall. I am a complete dunce when it comes to DIY. Any suggestions of a simple way to hide them a little? I can't tuck them in the carpet, they are too darn thick.

Thanks a bunch guys for any suggestions.

Donald

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You've got a couple of options.
    1) Consider replacing the wires with flat wires that are paintable.
    2) See if they can be tucked behind the moulding of the wall.
    3) You could run them through a plate and then run the wires in the walls...might be too much of a headache.
    4) If you're over a basement, a discreet hole in the floor or down some opening and then run them in the basement ceiling till you get to your speakers.

3. Donald_S

Donald_S Stunt Coordinator

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

There are plastic cable guides i've seenused for conceiling cables going to overhead projector mounts and wall box mounted outles in offices/boardrooms/classrooms. I'm sure it's available at home depot or lowes, probably in the electrical section.

I've also seen people use a sort of draw-string cloth tube originaly meant to conceal the wiring of floor lamps, but these are used more for conceiling the cabling to your mains since they're probably not long enough for your intended purpose.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

5. Aristides

Aristides Agent

If your floor/wall interface has moulding, you could take a not so simple route. Remove the moulding and if room permits, tuck the wires/cables behind then replace moulding. Power tools (dado bit) could allow you to cut a groove on the back side of the moulding to accept your wires.

however, it's not a 'simple' solution. So why not get cable guides? Radio Shack usually carries an assortment of these. The ones I'm thinking of are typically used for RG-6 satellite or cable TV cables. They are nailed into the wall or floor and may be large enough for your cables.

Of course paintable cables would help with basic aesthetics as well.

In my apartment I had to use a flatter profile cable that has a white jacket. (Monster).

Good luck,
    Aristides